There are newer employer reviews for Florida DHSMV

A great starting point to enter into the work field!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tallahassee, FL
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Florida DHSMV

Pros

They'll help you move forward in your career whether its with tuition reimbursement or on the job training and workshops.

Cons

The cafeteria is awful - I would recommend going outside the building to eat!

Advice to Management

Continue to look for employees with potential and help motivate them to be better.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. The odds are good, but how good are the odds?

Current Employee - Law Enforcement Communications Officer in Cape Coral, FL
    Current Employee - Law Enforcement Communications Officer in Cape Coral, FL

I have been working at Florida DHSMV

Pros

The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles provides important services to Florida's citizens. In order to achieve complete customer satisfaction, each and every member of this department plays an integral role, daily, in the job they are charged with performing. It is the goal of the department to ensure every individual we come in contact with gets the "WOW" experience including fast and friendly customer service, a knowledgeable and informative employee, a dedicated hard-working professional that goes the extra mile to ensure the customer is taken care of without reservation, and a friendly thank you, please do business with us again - invite for repeat business. In exchange for our best efforts, our biggest reward is knowing we have tried our hardest to make a positive difference towards every person we have come in contact with, and we are happy with the end result that is a direct reflection on our abilities as a representative of the department. Other perks include the bonding time as friends and co-workers, and the relationships that can be built to maintain a solid foundation. This aides the overall effort for everyone to come together and continue to work as a team ensuring we maintain the momentum needed to remain productive, and be the best that we can be as we continue providing valuable services to the public. Each member wants to do the job well, and for the most part, we have unlimited resources to ensure we meet our personal performance goals. We have each others backs, and we have a lot of fun coming to work each day. For these reasons, to name a few, makes working for the State of Florida one of the best opportunities available today.

Cons

While the training programs in place are effective, there remains a lot of opportunity for them to be made better. It is an ongoing effort. I feel that if the training programs were fine tuned, and more in synch with what is the "norm" within society today, we would greatly benefit the overall effort we are striving to achieve. Another area being frowned upon right now, is in the area of compensation for thousands of state employees. While some positions in state government are governed by the Florida Legislature, a lot of these positions will not see even a penny of an increase for their public service, not even a cost of living income supplement. In comparison, other positions outside this department in other localities for both city and county government, a majority of those employees are seeing some sort of increase to their compensation package; although it may be small, something is better than nothing. While we hope for the best, a lot of veteran employees are searching for a greener pasture to do better, financially, for themselves and their families. This in turn, creates the potential for a lot of turnover, which is scrutinized by our own not to mention potential new hires, as to what the heck is exactly going on here. Finally, another area we vigorously pursue our voice to be heard on is management in the field, in line, all the way up to Tallahassee - multiple areas of concern that get no attention, ever. When this happens, it portrays a bigger picture for us that the powers-that-be just do not have the level of dedication, and commitment needed to be effective leaders by example. This too is frustrating, lowering the overall morale in the workplace, and has people wondering why they even continue to come to work every day. These are three of the strongest examples available to try to give a fair and balanced picture as to some of the downsides we continue to experience as of now working for this department.

Advice to Management

Poll your field workers, hear what they have to say, remain open-minded about the suggestions you hear, and give it an honest effort to fight for what is feasible in terms of making the job a little bit better for all of the decent, hard-working individuals that are working hard for the citizens of Florida each and every day.......

2. Great , ops clerk

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Florida DHSMV

Pros

Steady schedule, flexible hours, stable pay

Cons

If you want a change of pace rather than sitting at a desk all day, this is not the best place to look