Florida Department of Health

www.doh.state.fl.us
  www.doh.state.fl.us
There are newer employer reviews for Florida Department of Health

Became less intelligent with this position.

Current Employee - Health Support Technician
Current Employee - Health Support Technician

I have been working at Florida Department of Health as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

If you like to be lazy, not think at work and not get fired for anything, this could be the job for you. Working in the public can be really great at times, the people you work with are very genuine.

Cons

The pay was horrible. I personally love my job, I have short days and most of the time have great moments throughout the day. But to keep this job, I had to get a side job waiting tables like I did all through college. Other people in the same job I have, Health support technician, are far less qualified.

Hire more qualified people, and pay them better.

42 Other Employee Reviews for Florida Department of Health (View Most Recent)

A good agency, good people, good cause corrupted by incompetent and politically motivated administration.

I worked at Florida Department of Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are excellent people there who want to make a difference and accomplish good things. If you are just starting your career you will find lots of learning opportunities and some mentors, and perhaps if you stick around and political winds change, you can move yourself up when competence and courage return.

Cons

Managers still there have to tuck their tails and keep their heads low. Current administration treats public sevice with neglect and disdain, and puts only those who don't question authority in executive position. Floridians deserve better.

I realize that the only way to stick around as a manager nowadays is to keep your mouth shut, but what you gain now you give up with your long term reputation. This time period with the agency will always be tainted.

Great experience and a lot of opportunity to grow

Former Employee - Program Administrator in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Program Administrator in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Florida Department of Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to move up if you are smart and buy into management philosophy. Management that tries to run the Division (MQA) like a business using process management and continuous improvement. Smart people in positions of leadership. An incredible culture that goes out of their way to get the most out of their staff. Many opportunities to be heard by leadership and take on leadership roles. Division is less affected by budget cuts due to being trust funded. Staff is recognized and rewarded by management frequently.

Cons

Politics come into play a lot and you will frequently have to drop everything you are doing to work on a legislative request. Management doesn't do a good enough job of getting rank & file staff to buy into their philosophy (Sterling) and then only teach it when applying for awards. Most of the training offered is very basic and pointless if you have a degree.

Do a better job of communicating to lower level staff your management philosophy.

There are newer employer reviews for Florida Department of Health