PRN Pay

Current Employee - Radiologic Technologist  in  Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Hospital, great leadership, awesome group of co-workers

Cons

I wish I was full time.

None.

Other Reviews for Florida Hospital

It has been wonderful - lots of opportunities for advancement if you take the initiative!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital

Pros

It is one of the largest hospital systems in the US, so there are always lots of positions that need to be filled. You can start as a housekeeper or patient tech, and after a year's employment the hospital will help pay your education so you can advance your career. In the meantime, there are lots of free online CBL's - computer-based learning modules. They also have their own FH College of Health Sciences, which is fully accredited.

EMR across the board - minimal use of paper charts. The doctors are currently switching over to computerized ordering, so it's much easier to read the orders, no handwriting to translate!

I love to learn new things, so in my 10 years here I have been been trained in various areas: ACLS, PALS, PICC certified, Sunport, Cerner and other hospital software - all free of charge. When I wanted to go back to school full-time for my MSN, leadership helped me to find a part-time position so I could remain with FH. You see many employees encourage their friends and families to come to work at FH. And of course, we are in Orlando - great weather and close to Disney, Universal, Sea World, and Legoland is coming this fall.

Cons

They are a very large organization, so like a large ship, changes in direction can be slow, but this is the same with every large business. You need to actively seek out opportunities - they will not be placed in your lap. If you have initiative, take the time to look at the employee newsletter, intranet, and watch the job openings for new opportunities. If you want to make a suggestion, fill out a SHARE card or go to a town hall meeting. When I worked in leadership, I know we took staff suggestions very seriously, even if we couldn't always implement them.

They are a faith-based organization, so prayer before meetings is standard. FH's Mission is "Extending the Healing Ministry of Christ". FH is a branch of Adventist Health Care, which was founded by the SDA - Seventh Day Adventists. However, I am Catholic and not particularly religious, and I never felt their religion was forced upon me. Most upper leadership are members of the SDA church, so if you want to be a VP or CEO, you might want to look into converting - LOL. But middle management and staff is much more diverse, so you can be a nurse manager and an atheist and there will not be an issue.

They do not hire LPN's and it can be difficult for GN's (newly graduated RN's) to get a job unless you have a BSN. They are also phasing out Patient Tech positions on many of the units. But apply anyway, because once you get hired the opportunities for growth are there.

Temporary staffing is TERRIBLE! Don't do it!!! FH switched to S----- Staffing, a single agency-manger company about 2 years ago to improve efficiency and make it easier for the units to get nurses. Almost all agencies must go through them to staff nurses. Great idea, but unfortunately S----- Staffing has argued with and underpaid every major staffing agency in the Orlando area, so most agencies will not staff FH anymore. If you do use them, be warned - you will have a mandatory 6 month wait to get hired and they constantly underpay the agency nurses. If you bill for 36 hours they will only pay you for 34.5 hours, stupid stuff like that. I think HR is looking into that now, so hopefully it might change soon.

Add an LPN to RN transition track program to the College of Science, there is a great demand in the Central Florida area. Get rid of S----- Staffing and hire a new agency-manger or go back to using multiple agencies. Otherwise, I still work for FH and plan to stay until I retire. I have been very happy here and have made many friends, and would never go anywhere else!

Enjoyable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Hospital

Pros

Balance in life is important and Florida Hospital recognizes the need to accomplish this in order for morale and productivity to be elevated at all times.

Cons

Some of the job classes are stretched very thin due to budget cuts and lack of staff. This can be very ehausting to those doing the job currently.

Listen carefully to employees concerns and insights as they are the heartbeat of what makes the organization run smoothly and effectively with the guidance of their management.

There are newer employer reviews for Florida Hospital.

Worked for Florida Hospital? Contribute to the Community!