Florida Power & Light

There are newer employer reviews for Florida Power & Light

Fairly good company

Current Employee - Engineer I in Miami, FL
Current Employee - Engineer I in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than an year)

Pros

benefits, work environment, friendly coworkers, payment is not bad, stable, work life balance is fairly OK depends on different business unit

Cons

culture if you are not a Spanish speaker, opportunities, different business unit may have different management, some of them are not so good.

80 Other Employee Reviews for Florida Power & Light (View Most Recent)

Old computer programs frustrates the daylights out of my job

Current Employee - Engineer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company's stock is performing well. Benefits are OK but all things considered not worth it.

Cons

The powers that be, need to spend some money to update the support programs. Stop being cheap. It will improve productivity! The way things are done are very inefficient and are infested with idiosyncrasies ( 'x' has to be done before 'y' but not unless 24 hours has elapsed or it will automatically erase 'z' and keep in mind if 'w' is updated it will change element of all 'x', 'y', & 'z' so it's best if you just start over!). Ladies and gentlemen I just described to you what's known as a "Work Management System", found exclusively @ FPL. We have programs that were designed for windows 95. There are people who sees the way we do things as the best thing since slice bread; they could recall a time when everything was done on paper. Now if that's the standard why do we need computers? Maybe we should dust off the good ole typewriter.

See cons

A modern corporation with traditional ethics.

Current Employee - Meter Reader in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Meter Reader in Naples, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, and reasonable opportunity for advancement. They have a high rate of retention, and always "hire from within" first when job opportunities become available. They have a strong culture of safety and put the employees first.

Cons

Corporate HQ (and most of the highest paying jobs) are in Miami, FL. Positions are available statewide, but the further you climb the ladder the better the odds are that you will have to live in the area. I realize this isn't a con for everyone, but moving my family to Miami from most other parts of the state would be... nightmarish.

Continue to offer a wider selection of jobs on the west coast, not just in Miami.

There are newer employer reviews for Florida Power & Light