There are newer employer reviews for Florida Power & Light

Old computer programs frustrates the daylights out of my job

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Miami, FL
Current Employee - Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company's stock is performing well. Benefits are OK but all things considered not worth it.

Cons

The powers that be, need to spend some money to update the support programs. Stop being cheap. It will improve productivity! The way things are done are very inefficient and are infested with idiosyncrasies ( 'x' has to be done before 'y' but not unless 24 hours has elapsed or it will automatically erase 'z' and keep in mind if 'w' is updated it will change element of all 'x', 'y', & 'z' so it's best if you just start over!). Ladies and gentlemen I just described to you what's known as a "Work Management System", found exclusively @ FPL. We have programs that were designed for windows 95. There are people who sees the way we do things as the best thing since slice bread; they could recall a time when everything was done on paper. Now if that's the standard why do we need computers? Maybe we should dust off the good ole typewriter.

See cons

74 Other Employee Reviews for Florida Power & Light (View Most Recent)

A modern corporation with traditional ethics.

Current Employee - Meter Reader  in  Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Meter Reader in Naples, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, and reasonable opportunity for advancement. They have a high rate of retention, and always "hire from within" first when job opportunities become available. They have a strong culture of safety and put the employees first.

Cons

Corporate HQ (and most of the highest paying jobs) are in Miami, FL. Positions are available statewide, but the further you climb the ladder the better the odds are that you will have to live in the area. I realize this isn't a con for everyone, but moving my family to Miami from most other parts of the state would be... nightmarish.

Continue to offer a wider selection of jobs on the west coast, not just in Miami.

It’s a job not a career

Current Employee - Engineering Manager  in  Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at Florida Power & Light full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fitness friendly environment. Onsite cafeteria allows you to quickly grab lunch and bring it back to your desk to continue working on your project.

Cons

There is a high employee turnover rate. In addition, it is hard to get things done; a lot time and energy is spent on in-fighting between departments. "Work-life balance" is talked about from time to time but they don't do anything substantive about it. FPL does not take care of their employees!

Offer engineers a bit more in their pay and treat them like professionals. If you did that, they would probably stick around compared to the constant turnover and necessary retraining.

There are newer employer reviews for Florida Power & Light

Worked for Florida Power & Light? Contribute to the Community!