There are newer employer reviews for Florida Virtual School

Solid company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In the IT department, good work life balance, pay and focus on process and delivery

Cons

Just beginning to get full knowledge of business needs and need to continue to focus on process and delivery

Stick to your agreed upon process and this company continues to grow.

152 Other Employee Reviews for Florida Virtual School (View Most Recent)

If you are looking for a chance to really help students - this is not it!

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful, dedicated colleagues whose hearts are in the right place.

Cons

Nonstop work! Notice it's the consistent complaint in many, many reviews. This is not about life/ work balance. It's about working 24/7 to keep your job! The availability of 8am-8pm is not even close to actual hours. Whether or not you keep your job is solely up to your Instructional Leader. They like you, you stay. They don't and you're out. Two very good friends of mine were let go with no warning. The Instructional Leaders also engage in questionable behavior (probably to keep their jobs!) - consistently lying to teachers and attempting to pit them against one another. My decision to leave was a difficult one, but 6 months later, I can't believe I ever worked there!! What was I thinking???

Focus on learning not completions. Online does not work for all students. Keeping them in courses they are destined to fail doesn't help them and neither does passing them just to get the FTE money.

Great experience if you can truly balance work and life.

Former Employee - FLVS Instructor  in  West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - FLVS Instructor in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved the flexibility of bringing my work with me and feeling like I had more control over my work hours than my previous jobs. They also offered a TON (read: an infinite) amount of professional development that has made my candidacy at future companies so much more desirable. Additionally, the company offered amazing benefits and I had to remember that I was just very spoiled at FLVS when searching for a new job. Finally, I loved the way I could branch out my creativity into the virtual realm because I still had to find a way to make the same huge impact as a teacher that I made in a traditional classroom except online, which was an awesome and fun challenge. My colleagues and I really had fun working together to make it an incredible learning experience for the students.

Cons

I almost quit several times in the beginning because I just could not balance my professional and personal lives. Management gives us enormous tasks, but they are just goals, and once I learned that, my life became much easier, the job became so much more fun, and believe it or not, my job performance sky rocketed because I wasn't exhausted. Learn to turn off the phone; learn to set very strict office hours; learn to set firm boundaries for the students because they actually get the work done in a more timely fashion (with better quality) that way. Management also stresses work/life balance and even though their To-Do lists don't reflect that concern, those are goals that are actually easily attainable with good time management skills (they offer many time management professional development courses and mentoring and everyone's encouraged to take those courses).

I personally had two really awful supervisors for the majority of my time at FLVS and I expressed constructive criticism to upper management about those supervisors. I am very happy to report that the attitudes and performance of both of those supervisors improved *dramatically* shortly thereafter and it really impressed me that upper management listened to my concerns (and those of my colleagues) and took appropriate action immediately.

There are newer employer reviews for Florida Virtual School

Worked for Florida Virtual School? Contribute to the Community!