There are newer employer reviews for Florida Virtual School

Low pay for part time employees

I have been working at Florida Virtual School part-time

Pros

Home work environment, up to date on technology

Cons

Horrible pay for part time employees ; less than 10$ per hour for a highly qualified teacher.

Pay teachers more

152 Other Employee Reviews for Florida Virtual School (View Most Recent)

Overworked, understaffed and under supported employees

Former Employee - Spanish Teacher  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Spanish Teacher in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefit package, work from home, helpful coworkers, virtual environment, get to visit students once a month through VLL (Virtual Learning Lab) in another city for a few days. That was a lot of fun going to visit my students! I loved watching them learn. I loved being able to and allowed to text them for responses for quick answers. Great salary!

Cons

Too many students to handle at a time. My final year, I had a number of 253 at one time. The "Monthly Call" requirement is impossible when there are 253 students at a time with the need to call or contact both parent and students when parents don't care. Even if you've called the parent and documented the call,text or email, you're still penalized if they don't get back to you in a timely manner. The need for grading support when there are too many requirements for grading on the same day submission is received. One day, I had more than 500 submissions that needed to be graded that same day. If you give 1 minute for each submission, that's over 10 hours of grading, which does not allow you any time for catching up on anything else, such as correspondence or speaking with students.

It got very stressful towards the end of my employment there not just for me, but for a lot of other people.

hire some extra grading support, Students/Teacher ratio needs to be seriously looked at.

Factory style education.

Current Employee - Instructor  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay isn't terrible if you live in a cheap county in FL.
    Interesting job stories.
    Keep up with technology if that's your thing. (If it isn't you're in the wrong field)
    Florida legislature pretty much double dipped giving FLVS money for serving students who were getting paid by their home district.

Cons

Part timers work 1/3rd of a full timer, but get paid 1/4th with NO benefits.
    This absolutely isn't teaching.
    Florida legislature is no longer giving extra funding for students to go to FLVS, meaning the competition model will force them to remove staff at will.
    Non-Union.

This was an awesome idea in 1999 revolutionizing education for a few students, now it's going to ruin it for hundreds of thousands more.

Consider all the complaints on here and those of your students and retool for the future. FLVS might consider a cap of students & staff- and form smaller schools within the district in order to avoid seriously horrible things like 900 layoffs in a week.

There are newer employer reviews for Florida Virtual School

Worked for Florida Virtual School? Contribute to the Community!