Florida Virtual School

www.flvs.net
  www.flvs.net
There are newer employer reviews for Florida Virtual School

Low pay for part time employees

I have been working at Florida Virtual School part-time

Pros

Home work environment, up to date on technology

Cons

Horrible pay for part time employees ; less than 10$ per hour for a highly qualified teacher.

Pay teachers more

162 Other Employee Reviews for Florida Virtual School (View Most Recent)

Overworked, understaffed and under supported employees

Former Employee - Spanish Teacher in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Spanish Teacher in Orlando, FL

I worked at Florida Virtual School full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefit package, work from home, helpful coworkers, virtual environment, get to visit students once a month through VLL (Virtual Learning Lab) in another city for a few days. That was a lot of fun going to visit my students! I loved watching them learn. I loved being able to and allowed to text them for responses for quick answers. Great salary!

Cons

Too many students to handle at a time. My final year, I had a number of 253 at one time. The "Monthly Call" requirement is impossible when there are 253 students at a time with the need to call or contact both parent and students when parents don't care. Even if you've called the parent and documented the call,text or email, you're still penalized if they don't get back to you in a timely manner. The need for grading support when there are too many requirements for grading on the same day submission is received. One day, I had more than 500 submissions that needed to be graded that same day. If you give 1 minute for each submission, that's over 10 hours of grading, which does not allow you any time for catching up on anything else, such as correspondence or speaking with students.

It got very stressful towards the end of my employment there not just for me, but for a lot of other people.

hire some extra grading support, Students/Teacher ratio needs to be seriously looked at.

I love this job!

I have been working at Florida Virtual School

Pros

Work from home on my own schedule! Great support from other employees and company itself! I have worked in some tough schools and this place truly has revitalized me! Once you learn the secrets to time management it is an awesome job!

Cons

There is a learning curve. Meetings are pretty frequent and yes teachers ask questions that drag them out sometimes. No more crazy questions than in a regular faculty meeting though.

If there could be a budget to have lead teachers travel to struggling teachers homes I think it would help tremendously. People that are saying negative things about this company irritate me because I feel like they did not maybe learn how to organize their time and class the right way.

There are newer employer reviews for Florida Virtual School