Florida Virtual School

Best Place to Work on the Planet

Current Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL
Current Employee - Teacher in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School

Pros

I feel that I affect change in the lives of each one of my students because I get to work with each one individually. The pay and the benefits and the culture at FLVS is also amazing.

Cons

You have to be a discipline person to work in this environment - and some people just cannot handle it.

Keep doing what you are doing!

162 Other Employee Reviews for Florida Virtual School (View Most Recent)

FLVS --- More like a commercial business than a school.

Current Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Florida Virtual School

Pros

There is the same or better pay than most public schools for teachers as well as good benefits and compensation for expenses. The culture has much more of a professional/business feel than public schools. There is an effort to maintain a positive climate, no griping is allowed.

Cons

The required "positive climate" can mask actual dysfunction. The measured outcome, number of students enrolling and completing a course, is more highly valued than the human element, making the whole experience more like a rah-rah sales agency than one dedicated to the well-being of students and teachers. New employees are pushed through training and then thrown onto the fire. It may not provide students with good instruction, but it keeps the numbers rolling in. As others have noted, the work expections for hours on duty is far worse than one would imagine.

Live up to the motto that the focus is on the student by having enough teachers for the number of students enrolled, provide the teachers much better guidance and support, and realize that even a virtual teacher has to have a real life.

Great company to work for but the work is life consuming. I love the company and the people but not the actual job. :(

Current Employee - Middle School Virtual Teacher in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Middle School Virtual Teacher in Orlando, FL

Pros

Pros:
    1. Great leadership!
    2. Awesome Staff Conference
    3. Sleeping in
    4. Working in PJ's
    5. Great pay
    6. Flexibility
    7. Great support

FLVS is a great company to work for and they offer a lot of growth and learning opportunities for their employees but this job is not for everyone. After working in a failing public school where the staff were hateful and rude to teachers who wanted to try new things, this was a refreshing breath of clean air! I think Julie Young really has the right idea in how to run a great business.

Cons

Cons:
    1. LLLLOOONNNGGGG hours - I know working at home seems so easy but I work MANY more hours at FLVS than I did at the regular school.
    2. No Christmas break.
    3. No Spring Break.
    4. No Summer Break.
    5. You have to work nights and weekends - you have to return calls and e-mails within 24 hrs and grade within 48 hrs. Seems easy enough until you have 150 students all calling, e-mailing and needing tutoring on the same days.
    6. Families often will interrupt you all the time making it even harder to work from home.
    7. You have to be on the phone ALL THE TIME. You have to talk to every student and parent at least once a month an that means calling students who won't call you back.
    8. You are rated based on student completion so if a kid drops because they just won't work or they move or their parent thinks they are playing on the internet too much then it counts against you even though it had nothing to do with how you are as a teacher.
    9. You have to get "permission" to leave town even if you will be working.

While I LOVE FLVS and it's leadership, it's not the right job for me. My family is suffering because of my constant work schedule. I'm always on the phone, day and night (we have to be available from 8am-8pm). This is a great job for the right person but it's not for everyone.

Explain that to really succeed at this job it's more about being on the phone than anything and that while it's flexible to some degree it's hard to be flexible when there's no time to not work without getting behind.
    Also, you know that you hire over achievers, however, we are never given the time or ability to overachieve with the load we are given making us frustrated, miserable and ready to walk away and back into a job where we can be more successful and have time for our families and lives.

There are newer employer reviews for Florida Virtual School