Fluor

www.fluor.com
  www.fluor.com
There are newer employer reviews for Fluor

Fluor can be a challenging and rewarding place to work, but you must be proactive in development of your own career path

Current Employee - Principal Design Engineer
Current Employee - Principal Design Engineer

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

Variety of projects and opportunities

Cons

Very large and can be somewhat impersonal

Pay empoyees based on past profits versus anticipated revenue.

442 Other Employee Reviews for Fluor (View Most Recent)

Fluor cares and is a good place to work with many opportunities.

Former Employee - Electrician Top Helper in Franklin, TX
    Former Employee - Electrician Top Helper in Franklin, TX

I worked at Fluor

Pros

The pay at Fluor is good and if you show competence in your craft they will recognize it and try to advance you to where you belong, unless your attitude indicates that you're still in need of adjustment. There is opportunity to train and advance in a craft or even change crafts. Working on a power plant seems to get you in front of the power plant owners for an interview if you're interested. They beleive in and promote safety, this is a good place to learn safety.

Cons

There does, however, seem to be some favoritism in upper management, or at least people believe that there is. Sometimes people are terminated for reasons that seem selfish on the part of management and I've know a Foreman and General Foreman who felt that it was necessary to 'drag up' because of unethical practices in management. Also, the after hours training, though legitimate, is a challenge to fit into your schedule. I've heard of a few cases where the foreman promises to advance you for months, but can't seem to make it happen; it's better just to ignore promises and stay focused on succeeding in your position.

My advise would be to SEEK out and develop talent in employees. Although a good working relationship can be important, many employees don't beleive they will be rewarded with opportunities to advance because they aren't in the right clique. I've seen it too: one person get GF position because another person knows them, while another person who successfully leads a crew from the begginning of a project gets overlooked while a newcomer advances into a position that everyone believes belongs to the overlooked person. This is important. I saw job moral go down alot when these things happened. Some dedicated employees just quit trying, and some even quit.

There are some truly talented individuals who could make a project run twice as smooth and incident free. Find them.

Fluor is a good company, but only a so-so place for interns.

Former Employee - Project Business Technician (Intern) in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Business Technician (Intern) in Houston, TX

I worked at Fluor

Pros

Fluor has friendly and hardworking employees. Managers are respectful of subordinates. The pay is good, especially if you're working on a project away from home. When I worked there, I became proficient in SAP.

Cons

There were inefficiencies in the finance department, the area in which I worked. Fluor lacks a training program for interns: what kind of work you're assigned is basically up to luck. As an intern, I was often assigned boring work, and the other interns I spoke with received even less interesting tasks.

Improve your internship program