Fluor

www.fluor.com

Very cyclical industry

Associate Process Specialist II (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsBest reason to work at Fluor Canada is that they'll provide you with a ton of information regarding the project you're on and how to design various pieces of equipment. After my few years of working with them, I would compare the experience I received at Fluor with the experience that my colleagues had with oil & gas companies, and I was way above their skill level in terms of understanding the processes and applying design standards.

ConsThere are a few downsides to working at Fluor, first off, the pay is not the greatest for the amount of stress and long hours you put in. In addition, it's extremely stressful when the project you're working on comes to a close and there is no communication to you as to what project you will be assigned to next. The engineering, procurement, and construction industry is very very cyclical and this company doesn't hesitate at all to trim the work force if clients projects get cancelled.

It's also very challenging to prove yourself and take on more responsibility. For junior employees, pay raises were not at all performance based, but were more here's an extra 8% because you've been here for a year. Colleagues at work would put in the bare minimum and their productivity was below average, yet most people would receive the same compensation with no bonus incentives to work harder or ensure your work exceeded expectations.

To get noticed, you pretty much had to be on a committee. Fluor's Graduates Advancing towards Professionalism (GAP) is highly overrated, however, if you're on this committee, you're generally protected from layoffs and more opportunities are available to you even if your work is subpar.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above criticism and try to address those issues. Recognize employee's that go the extra mile and ensure deadlines are met. Scale back the emphasis on the GAP group. Differentiate the stellar employees and the ones that are there just for the "9-5" job and reward accordingly. Junior employees are very open in regards to salary's being paid and it's quite discouraging to find that you're being compensated the exact same as someone who's performing at a much lower competency.

Good Pay - Poor Conditions

I have been working at Fluor

Pros: The salaries paid in the Middle East are very good. Company-supplied living quarters are excellent. However, long… Cons: Location - the Middle East is the worst place in the world to work. This is as much for weather conditions as it is… Advice to Senior Management: Managers should pay attention to what happens several levels below… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Decent place to work

I have been working at Fluor

Pros: Lots of changes in past year, and company has done well to adjust.… Cons: Excessive level of mid-management. Promotes training but doesn't do anything about it. Won't send employees anywhere or… Advice to Senior Management: Communicate more to employees. Let employees know they matter. For the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Fluor.

Worked for Fluor? Contribute to the Community!