Move on when you can

Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

Very family friendly - colleagues and bosses understanding when family situations crop up. Nobody is expected to stay late (can be a con b/c nobody will give you an extra 5 min at the end of the day to get something finished.)

Cons

Glacial pace of projects. A lot of hurry up and wait. Mediocrity everywhere - a lot of old ppl there just to work as long as possible before they have to retire. They have no interest in doing things faster, making a better system or listening to anybody's input. Good old boy network still in place and nepotism abounds. This is more annoying due to older engineers want to share info with their friends, not a younger person. Info shared via personal connections, not through a work system. When project hours are finshed, you will be laid off. Very silo'd company. Everyone territorial with hours and info but eager to share blame when client is upset. Middle management turnover is a lot as ppl get rotated. No career path up unless you are a chosen one hired as a fresh graduate.

Advice to Management

Institute 360 reviews. Once a manager was so hostile to every suggestion not his own that people delayed making decisions on the project for three months, just waiting it out until he retired.

Other Employee Reviews for Fluor

A place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

Pros

Fluor is a great place to work, I have worked for other large corporations where upper management's incompetent and ineffective behavior is tolerated or rewarded but technical staff is crucified if they have been unable to read minds or forecast the future. Fluor management accepts that you can only make decisions using the information you have. At Fluor you are expected to work hard, do your best and learn from your and others mistakes, but there are no career damaging repercussions when things don't t always go perfectly as planned. In short they accept that we are all human.

Cons

Even if you approach your manager they may not provide guidance on career path, even if you share your interests and strengths. There seems no desire to develop long term career growth. For us 25+ year ppl who have been learning new technology since we worked with punch cards in the university in the 70's, many need to keep learning and growing and remaining a critical contributor to their organization. For the managers w/ 25+ years at Fluor there is a tendency to prefer to avoid creating any waves leaving competent staff in their positions.

Advice to Management

Make better use of Fluor resources during the project development phase. Our theme is "One Fluor", this needs to be our mantra from project inception, to procurement and construction, to project completion. It appears that all the different players on a project are encouraged to lower costs, which on the surface appears to be a good thing. It may be a great idea but there needs to be someone looking at the "big picture" considering how a cost reduction in one area may precipitate a higher cost increase in another area that may or may not be evident until the project is in full swing. My question is, was this cost reduction cost effective. This fanaticism on cost savings may be counterproductive when heroic measures or field changes must be developed at site or what I consider the clients "stage". The trouble shooter sent in to save the day may be doing a great job, making real progress, but the client still most likely perceives the recovery not as a success but rather a mitigation of failure.

2. Fluor

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Sugar Land, TX

Pros

Fluor is a great place to work. The TOWP (Time Off With Pay) is an excellent benefit. The 9/80 work schedule is great, with every other Friday off.

Cons

It is very cylical. When it is booming it is great. When there is a down-turn it is no so good. However, I do believe Fluor tries to keep GOOD employees.

Advice to Management

Tell them what is going on.... Get more work... In order to keep your employees. Other wise the the Other EPC companies will hire all of your well trained people. I've heard this old saying many times on the street: "Fluor trains them, we hire them".