Fluor

Move on when you can

Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Fluor

Pros

Very family friendly - colleagues and bosses understanding when family situations crop up.
Nobody is expected to stay late (can be a con b/c nobody will give you an extra 5 min at the end of the day to get something finished.)

Cons

Glacial pace of projects. A lot of hurry up and wait.
Mediocrity everywhere - a lot of old ppl there just to work as long as possible before they have to retire. They have no interest in doing things faster, making a better system or listening to anybody's input.
Good old boy network still in place and nepotism abounds. This is more annoying due to older engineers want to share info with their friends, not a younger person. Info shared via personal connections, not through a work system.
When project hours are finshed, you will be laid off.
Very silo'd company. Everyone territorial with hours and info but eager to share blame when client is upset.
Middle management turnover is a lot as ppl get rotated.
No career path up unless you are a chosen one hired as a fresh graduate.

Institute 360 reviews. Once a manager was so hostile to every suggestion not his own that people delayed making decisions on the project for three months, just waiting it out until he retired.

449 Other Employee Reviews for Fluor (View Most Recent)

Not bad, but not great

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

When work was coming in there was plenty to do and I learned a lot during this time. The knowledge sharing is second to none and I never felt bad asking any questions that I had.

Cons

It seems that the market was overestimated by our management. Our bids were not competitive and now we are paying for it with layoffs.

Know the market better and try to share some work between offices. Other divisions of Fluor have been doing well, but we have not been able to benefit from this.

Great place to work as long as there is work to do...

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

Great people and work climate.

Cons

No projects - no work - no job. At the mercy of the economy (just like any other company).

share work between offices