Fluor
www.fluor.com Irving, TX 5000+ Employees

Good company to work for if you are willing to travel.

Associate Project Controls Specialist II (Current Employee)
Aliso Viejo, CA

ProsVacation, or time off is progressive. Every employee begins with around 4 hours earned per 40 hour work week, that adds up to around 5 weeks a year of time off. After five years the time earned off will calculate to a little over 6 weeks a year. This time is also not lost each time the year rolls over. You keep what you dont use, no matter the amount. I cant compare the health benefits to other companies, but health, dental, and vision is offered through United Health Care. While I have heard that there are better options, I do not know any better. Fluor picks up 80%, the rest is paid by the employee. Fluor offers a pension and 401K. Two percent of your base salary is put into the pension each year by Fluor. 401K is matched up to 4%. Because Fluor is such a large company, there always seems to be work, and the option to travel. If you like travelling and seeing the world, it is a good company to do so with. While travelling, Fluor pays per diem for living away from home, this can greatly add to yearly salaries. Also, a travel allowance is given, whether you travel home or not, each month away from home. Also, 8 hours of travel time is given to use to travel home.

ConsThe downside happens to be related to the upside, if you dont like to travel and move, then it wont be the best place to work. Also, after 5 plus years with the company, I have found that getting a manager to sit down with you and talk to you about a career path is very difficult, and even if they take the time to do so, its difficult to determine if it is being done to appease you, or if they are really serious. Fluor, just like any company, is interested in making money and the bottom line, if they can keep you doing more for less pay, they are going to do so. I was told from a manager that if I wanted to climb higher on the pay scale, my best option would be to leave on good terms and work else where for a period of time and then either wait to be called by someone in Fluor or apply for a new position, then you can renegotiate as you wished. I actually did this and not only was moved up a pay grade, but was given a more desirable position and salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management should take the time to realize that the engineering, procurement, and construction field is currently booming, and doesnt appear to be getting smaller at the moment. Even if fossil fuel energy plants are phased out, the new environmental plants will need to be built and someone is always going to be willing to build them. Current companies in the field are dying to pick up experienced project members, especially from Fluor. Fluor Senior Management should take this time to talk to those that they think are valuable or appear to have a valuable future and talk to them about their career plans and where they are headed. If the two seem to agree, then put the employee on a track that would make them feel valuable and feel that they have a future with Fluor. If I was given this option, I know that I would work even harder then I am now. Some "attaboys" now and then go a long way.

Fluor, best of a bad lot

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

I have been working at Fluor

Pros: decent infrastructure, lots of tools available, fairly low stress levels,… Cons: little room for advancement once you reach sr. level but… Advice to Senior Management: you've turned the upper grade levels into a club. there's… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Good place to work.

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee)
    Greenville, SC

I have been working at Fluor

Pros: Oppurtunity to work on high profile projects. Seems to be a fair amount of room for advancement. The majority of people are willing to lend… Cons: Being such a large company you can at times feel like only a number. Management at times feels they know… Advice to Senior Management: Let the people who are the experts with there field… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Fluor.

Worked for Fluor? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fluor reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fluor CEO David T. Seaton . All reviews posted anonymously by Fluor employees.