There are newer employer reviews for Fluor

Brrrr - It's Cold in Here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I worked at Fluor

Pros

Prestige, stable company, international, many talented and knowledgeable people, well-established and honed processes, fair pay, generous paid time off benefits, average medical/dental benefits, nice offices, above-average investment in tools to perform work, high quality standards.

Cons

I can only speak about the department where I worked, which was a department that supported sales efforts. I have heard that people who have worked in other departments have had better experiences.

The biggest con for me was the cold atmosphere. The person on the other side of the cubicle wall from me would e-mail rather than speak to me in person. This person was the most experienced and knowledgable in the department. I could have learned a lot from the person but was too intimidated by the lack of warmth to talk to the person much. Almost everyone else in the department behaved similarly.

There seemed to be a lot of fear about getting laid off if one's timesheet did not reflect an adequate number of billable hours. (At the same time, there wasn't enough work to keep the whole department busy.) This was perhaps one of the reasons for the cold atmosphere. I think this fear was a holdover from another era, though there were layoffs in the department about a year ago.

There was one person in the department that very few people liked, and they would gossip about her constantly. Very uncomfortable.

There wasn't enough work! I thrive under pressure and was bored most of the time.

There was an abusive person in another department that I had to deal with. Like most people I encountered at this company, this person had been there for many years and was tolerated, though everyone acknowledged the person was abusive.

Finally, at the location where I worked, coffee was not provided. There was a stand outside where you could buy it if you wanted to. Prices were about half Starbucks' for a basic cup, but it wasn't very good coffee. Anyway, not providing coffee as a perk just seemed to say something negative to me, right off the bat, about the company's values.

Make sure you utilize everyone you hire. Employees will stay engaged if they feel needed.

428 Other Employee Reviews for Fluor (View Most Recent)

Reviewing Fluor

Former Employee - Document Control Specialist in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Document Control Specialist in Irvine, CA

I worked at Fluor

Pros

Unique work schedule. Every other Friday off. You work 36 hours one week, 44 hours another.

Cons

45 minute mandated company wide lunch breaks. This didn't provide ample time if one needed to use lunch break for errands.

Ask your employees for suggestions or comments.

Not bad, but not great

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

When work was coming in there was plenty to do and I learned a lot during this time. The knowledge sharing is second to none and I never felt bad asking any questions that I had.

Cons

It seems that the market was overestimated by our management. Our bids were not competitive and now we are paying for it with layoffs.

Know the market better and try to share some work between offices. Other divisions of Fluor have been doing well, but we have not been able to benefit from this.

There are newer employer reviews for Fluor