There are newer employer reviews for Food Lion

Taught me to always be determined.

Current Employee - Center Store Associate in Greenville, NC
Current Employee - Center Store Associate in Greenville, NC

I have been working at Food Lion part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Food Lion can give a young person that is going through school a good amount of responsibility. I gained a lot of valuable customer service experience, which I believe everyone in the business world should have. Food Lion has a good grasp on the grocery industry and is a very stable company being parented by Delhaize Corporation.

Cons

At times management can expect too much from an individual making only 8-9 dollars an hour. You may be scheduled five hours and in order to get everything done you may not take a break. Hours are not given often for running "backstock," which makes it hard to stay organized. This makes things much harder when it comes time for inventory. Management at times does not hold every employee accountable.

Advice to Management

I believe the management should have definitive ways they handle individuals who don't show up to work. I believe if the workplace was a bit more strict a considerable amount of work that is not getting done could be completed.

reviews filtered by
  1. I never even made 100 dollars

Former Employee - Cashier in Upper Marlboro, MD
    Former Employee - Cashier in Upper Marlboro, MD

I worked at Food Lion part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy, short work day, nice customers, easy going coworker

Cons

Low pay, stand long hours, management does no have college degree

Advice to Management

Understand workers needs such as school obligations.

2. Very hectic, the more effective you are, the more work you become accountable for.

Current Employee - Department Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Food Lion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Food Lion can be pretty flexible with schedules.

Cons

Because of the structure of the hierarchy within the store, blame for different situations often trickles down from corporate, to store manager, to dept manager, etc. People who often complain about the situation being unfair and who threaten to call hr are usually the ones who see the best perks. Labor is expected to be more efficient than the pay often justifies.

Advice to Management

Allow more control to the people who monitor the individual depts. The people who are around the items everyday have a good sense of what is going on with the products and the customers and can micro-manage past rigid corporate standards.