Food Lion

www.foodlion.com
  www.foodlion.com
There are newer employer reviews for Food Lion

Things Are Not What They Seem !

Current Employee - PT Grocery Associate in Myrtle Beach, SC
Current Employee - PT Grocery Associate in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Food Lion

Pros

Benefits: one week Paid Vacation, Birthday Bonus (paid one extra work day), Profit Sharing- Holiday Bonus (before Black Friday), Retirement-401K (stocks), Medical, Life Insurance.
 Corporately speaking, Food Lion is indeed heading in an overall "good" direction. If one is lucky enough to be hired by a "competent" general manager, life can be great on the job. Though all floor employees are the "face" of Food Lion, the general managers are even more so. I was blessed to be able to work under and with a very unusually talented and competent gm. Everything about his store prospered under this particular gm. His whole management team was infected with his work-a-holism. I recall how we used to try to do everything perfect and "proficiently". Because the gm taught or trained by example (actually physically showed you what he was talking about) and not just lip-talk. Every single one of the employees loved if not liked this gm. As you may have guessed, corporate got wind of his excellency, and then swooped down to promote him to a corporate position. So now when I retrospect those times I see more and more how we really where a "dream team".

Cons

No in-store employee prep meetings to voice concerns and or share ideas!
(Only time we get a prep meet is when a district or corporate employee drops by!)

Untrained associates allowed literally to "undo" proper work that was already done!
(I can understand correcting what a customer has disarrayed; but constantly having to correct what a fellow associate is screwing up is a wast of time and resources!)

New cashiers are not trained beyond knowing how to ring-up a sale ( some won't even wipe up a spill by their own register or have to call a bagger off a lunch break...?!)

Customer Service office Assistants need to learn how to efficiently manage the office and customer concerns, and not micro-manage their fellow employees to death while not even on the clock !
Management needs to open their eyes and fire any "lazy-leechers" that use up the "hours-quota" from the honest, competent, and hard workers.

Only the baggers are told to clean the restrooms and empty register trash; but however, the the last time I checked, it's supposed to be a full rotation among the whole front end crew in cleaning the restrooms, and the break area. This seems to be so prevalent at all the Food Lion stores that I've worked, -that most front end employees don't even know that this is in the last written employee handbook (that everybody supposed to rotate cleaning the restrooms) .

Required to constantly greet every customer any and everywhere even while pulling or pushing floats, pallets, and carts off the lot in the hot or cold weather conditions .

Please mandate in-store "employee" prep meetings as we are the eyes and ears and overall the face of Food Lion.

The same customers frequent the same Food Lion store more than once a shift; so how much more in a day? Needless to say, stop requiring every employee everywhere to greet every customer anywhere, with a lame "welcome to Food Lion" phrase. How about a "Welcome BACK to Food Lion" phrase for local regulars? I've watched the poor CSM associates wear themselves out, and become so shallow in there greetings that they become across as patronizing the customer.

551 Other Employee Reviews for Food Lion (View Most Recent)

Could be Worse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Statesville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Statesville, NC

I have been working at Food Lion

Pros

Fair benefits, stable work environment. They do give you easy ways to try and move up be it into store managment or to the corporate environment.

Cons

Pay raises are yearly and capped at 3%. Many issues have to go through district managers and often takes far longer than it should. Store management tends to be overworked and under trained. Same goes for most other positions.

While the job may be stable, as everyone must eat, hours are constantly going haywire and full time positions are severly limited. It's also near impossible to get fired. If you see that as a con or pro is up to you, however, this means that poor workers suck away time and money from employees who actually try to do their jobs correctly. In the time I've worked at Food Lion I have seen many good workers come and go because others drag the whole thing down. And for whatever reason, management seems to think that being hard on everyone is somehow going to help the one bad apple.

Make it easier to get rid of 'poor performers,' this alone will help morale and help your stores. Also, give people a reason to want to work hard for you. A once a year raise and false promises don't help.

I also realize that the economy is in the dumps at the moment, but cutting all your people back isn't going to help in the long run. When people come in to shop and the shelfs are empty and no one is up front to check them out they won't come back! You aren't the only store in town. You may see your record profits drop a bit in the short run, but isn't keeping the customer just as important?

I also understand that the big new thing is to make everyone in every store say the same exact things to every customer every time they see them. Why? People like people, not parrots. Honestly, it gets old, fast.

horrible neighbors, low prices should be motto

Former Employee - Sales Associate in High Point, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in High Point, NC

I worked at Food Lion

Pros

you know when the best sales are going on, their prices are actually really low; however, other than that there is not much to working here

Cons

- no discount
    - incompetent managers
    - EXTREMELY low pay
    - unreasonable hours
    - benefits are ridiculously useless
    - constant micromanaging from imbecile managers

focus on customer service; however, for you to actually improve your customer service, you must improve the morale of the employees. Treat them better.

There are newer employer reviews for Food Lion