There are newer employer reviews for Food Lion

This company is in trouble .It is a upside down pyramid. Lil Ricky is holding a pair of deuces and bluffs ever hand .

Current Employee - Department Head in Roanoke, VA
Current Employee - Department Head in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Food Lion

Pros

Holiday bonus but it could be gone any year no warning. Vacaton pay economic stability everybody has go to eat.

Cons

The waste of money that is not given to front line employees . "meetings out of town for a select few cronies ' golf outings " bonuses for store managers and district managers who do none of the work that got the sales or gross profits. Making positions for soon to be wives of regional directors. then making employees go to her meetings to justfy her new job . The promotions of individuals all in the name of diversity not because of merit or job performance. STOP MICROMANAGEING us we have been doing it longer than you have and it is not Brain surgery.

None they don't LISTEN .20 word min-- But get rid of the fat at Foodlion but it will never happen because of the cronie club mentality. stupidity loves company, it is like all managers are brainwashed. stop sugar coating everything it is not greatness upon greatness = greatness High prices because of fat above store level and the heart felt Welcome will put us in the grave.

505 Other Employee Reviews for Food Lion (View Most Recent)

Could be great

Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Food Lion

Pros

I like cutting meat, it's a place I can do it. It's steady employment at a time when my wife is laid off and I was laid off from the job I had in my degree field.

Cons

I like working hard but at Food Lion there is no end. It's been this way every since I started there in college in 2000. Hours are constantly cut, management asks for more and more to get done with less and less time to do it. For the good employees like myself who work very hard and want very much to do a great job, it runs us ragged. Just this Monday I worked a 13 hour day with 11 minutes off the clock during the day, that's all I had time for. I sat down three times all day for a grand total of about 20 minutes. One person to tend to the fresh meat case, on a truck day no less, is not enough in a market that's doing $45k a week.

I've got other gripes but right now just get us some help! I've worked at Food Lion long enough to know it won't change but I sure wish it magically would one day.

Things Are Not What They Seem !

Current Employee - PT Grocery Associate in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - PT Grocery Associate in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Food Lion

Pros

Benefits: one week Paid Vacation, Birthday Bonus (paid one extra work day), Profit Sharing- Holiday Bonus (before Black Friday), Retirement-401K (stocks), Medical, Life Insurance.
     Corporately speaking, Food Lion is indeed heading in an overall "good" direction. If one is lucky enough to be hired by a "competent" general manager, life can be great on the job. Though all floor employees are the "face" of Food Lion, the general managers are even more so. I was blessed to be able to work under and with a very unusually talented and competent gm. Everything about his store prospered under this particular gm. His whole management team was infected with his work-a-holism. I recall how we used to try to do everything perfect and "proficiently". Because the gm taught or trained by example (actually physically showed you what he was talking about) and not just lip-talk. Every single one of the employees loved if not liked this gm. As you may have guessed, corporate got wind of his excellency, and then swooped down to promote him to a corporate position. So now when I retrospect those times I see more and more how we really where a "dream team".

Cons

No in-store employee prep meetings to voice concerns and or share ideas!
    (Only time we get a prep meet is when a district or corporate employee drops by!)

Untrained associates allowed literally to "undo" proper work that was already done!
    (I can understand correcting what a customer has disarrayed; but constantly having to correct what a fellow associate is screwing up is a wast of time and resources!)

New cashiers are not trained beyond knowing how to ring-up a sale ( some won't even wipe up a spill by their own register or have to call a bagger off a lunch break...?!)

Customer Service office Assistants need to learn how to efficiently manage the office and customer concerns, and not micro-manage their fellow employees to death while not even on the clock !
    Management needs to open their eyes and fire any "lazy-leechers" that use up the "hours-quota" from the honest, competent, and hard workers.

Only the baggers are told to clean the restrooms and empty register trash; but however, the the last time I checked, it's supposed to be a full rotation among the whole front end crew in cleaning the restrooms, and the break area. This seems to be so prevalent at all the Food Lion stores that I've worked, -that most front end employees don't even know that this is in the last written employee handbook (that everybody supposed to rotate cleaning the restrooms) .

Required to constantly greet every customer any and everywhere even while pulling or pushing floats, pallets, and carts off the lot in the hot or cold weather conditions .

Please mandate in-store "employee" prep meetings as we are the eyes and ears and overall the face of Food Lion.

The same customers frequent the same Food Lion store more than once a shift; so how much more in a day? Needless to say, stop requiring every employee everywhere to greet every customer anywhere, with a lame "welcome to Food Lion" phrase. How about a "Welcome BACK to Food Lion" phrase for local regulars? I've watched the poor CSM associates wear themselves out, and become so shallow in there greetings that they become across as patronizing the customer.

There are newer employer reviews for Food Lion