There are newer employer reviews for Food Marketing Institute

A good place to be for about a year and then find something else.

Current Employee - Administrator, Marketing  in  Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Administrator, Marketing in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Food Marketing Institute

Pros

Holiday schedule and staying within the 40 hours per week.

Cons

Very difficult to move up. Lopsided staff (2 VP per 1 Admin).

Stop being so rigid on decision making.

5 Other Employee Reviews for Food Marketing Institute (View Most Recent)

FMI... a pretty good place (but you should look into your other options)

Former Employee - Senior Administrator, Research  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Administrator, Research in Arlington, VA

I worked at Food Marketing Institute

Pros

FMI is full of nice people. Many staffers get along and fraternize outside of work hours. Some people have been there for years and seem to really like it. There's an Employee Committee (I think it's called) that works together to boost the morale of the force. They do stuff like ice cream socials in the summer (as well as a picnic) and help plan all the holiday parties (though most of them are in the boardroom-- nothing too fancy.)There's a position for practically all talents. Management was always very respectful and listened to ideas from every level of the staff. No snootiness going on.

Cons

Well, promotions only came once a year. Actually I should say that salary reviews only came once a year, though promotions were few and far between as well. There weren't any bonuses, just a base salary to work with the whole year. The medical benefits were pretty good (and they also offered education tuition reimbursement), but they don't have any 401(k) matching plan (something I was very jealous of other people in other companies who had it) and they also didn't reimburse for transportation, either public or private. Also Job security is definitely not good these days... I will just leave it at that, but do you get the picture?

Nothing-- I was satisfied overall with the way they handled things.

If it sounds too good to be true...

Former Employee - Logistics Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Logistics Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Food Marketing Institute

Pros

Nice people who aren't in management make going to work easy but getting anything done can be a challenge. The Human Resources team gave me a 'poor' review because I didn't smile enough in the common areas so I guess they have all employee feelings in mind.

Cons

Ridiculous corporate structure is top heavy and paper work intensive. Every time they downsize the work load gets bigger while the staff shrinks and the people at the top aren't willing to do the actual work. Since I left it only sounds like it has gotten worse with three more rounds of layoffs and a recession on the horizon I doubt much will change.

Listen to the people who actually do the work

There are newer employer reviews for Food Marketing Institute

Worked for Food Marketing Institute? Contribute to the Community!