Food Marketing Institute

www.fmi.org
  www.fmi.org
There are newer employer reviews for Food Marketing Institute

If it sounds too good to be true...

Former Employee - Logistics Manager in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Logistics Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Food Marketing Institute

Pros

Nice people who aren't in management make going to work easy but getting anything done can be a challenge. The Human Resources team gave me a 'poor' review because I didn't smile enough in the common areas so I guess they have all employee feelings in mind.

Cons

Ridiculous corporate structure is top heavy and paper work intensive. Every time they downsize the work load gets bigger while the staff shrinks and the people at the top aren't willing to do the actual work. Since I left it only sounds like it has gotten worse with three more rounds of layoffs and a recession on the horizon I doubt much will change.

Listen to the people who actually do the work

5 Other Employee Reviews for Food Marketing Institute (View Most Recent)

Look Before You Leap

Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Logistics Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Food Marketing Institute

Pros

FMI was a wonderful place to work about 15 years ago. It had integrity and the respect of its industry and the association community alike. It ruled fearlessly and was on the cutting edge of the issues currently facing and coming on the horizon for the supermarket industry. FMI always managed to find the right speakers and produce the largest trade show the industry could depend on. It was held as the shining star in the food industry and the one entity that everyone wanted to work for because, if you were good enough to work at FMI, you could write your own ticket if you left, which few ever did....leave that is. And the ones that did leave usually beat a fast path right back "home" because they found it difficult to work places that did not have the same standards or pull.

Cons

The largest downside with FMI is living a another day. FMI has had numerous layoffs over the years. Once the relief of not having been one of the people laid-off fades, you are faced with the reality check of all of the work that those "unfortunate" co-workers have left behind is now being put on your already overburdened plate. There are too few people remaining for FMI to continue business as usual but management seemingly has no clue of this truth. FMI continues all of the programs and a member services that were viable before the cuts and because the support staff lives in fear of keeping their jobs, they kill themselves to ensure that everything gets done although usually not to their personal standards and sometimes not FMI's either.

It is my opinion that senior management should take a more realistic look towards the health and viability of the organization as a whole versus protecting their friends' positions. The idea that you can right the financial ship by releasing support staff from the payroll in favor of making the smart, albeit difficult, decision to remove upper management positions while looking at the overall function of the organization and the work/life balance for the remaining members of the staff.

Sad to say, a severe overall reorganization is the only hope for this association. The new President and CEO has her work cut out for her. The fear and pall of resignation running through the staff is palpable. The staff can see the writing on the wall and in these hard economic times their greatest wish is that they can find a new position before the ax falls on their necks next.

This place was wonderful

Former Employee - Graphic Design Intern in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Graphic Design Intern in Arlington, VA

I worked at Food Marketing Institute as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people were extremely welcoming and friendly. It was fun to intern here and I learned a lot about the food industry.

Cons

As an intern, sometimes there wasn't a lot of work for me to do, so I would spend time just twiddling my thumbs.

There are newer employer reviews for Food Marketing Institute