There are newer employer reviews for Food Services of America

Looks good on paper

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Kent, WA
Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Kent, WA

I worked at Food Services of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

very nice people. good team environment. made some good friends. able to make your own schedule within reason. no micro management.

We were able to work with the buyers and learn as much as we wanted. The company is thought of well enough in the industry and looks good on paper when looking for another job. It wasn't a horrible starting position out of college but it's not somewhere that you will plan to be for very long.

Cons

very low pay and no raises for assistant buyers - I started out making $14/hour and two plus years later I still was making under $15/hour.

Realize you are going to have consistent turn over for assistants when you pay them high school wages.

23 Other Employee Reviews for Food Services of America (View Most Recent)

Run away! As fast as you can, if you are considering a career here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Food Services of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We have a really beautiful, first-class building and a huge American flag.

Cons

Since the sudden death of the founder and Chairman of FSA in 2010, the company has been taken over by dreadfully ill-equipped managers. I expect they are doing the best that they can, but the two CEOs do not have the experience or integrity to lead a $2.5 billion enterprise. The business is in an accelerating downward spiral.

They will do whatever it takes to cut costs, cut corners, and cut people. If you do work here, don't ever share your opinion if it is different than theirs. They have fired about 6 people in the last year for doing that.

Hire a professional executive search firm and recruit two new CEOs who can return the company to growth, profitability, and an honorable reputation.

Two sets of rules

I worked at Food Services of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A core group of people that seem to know what they're doing and hold up the rest of the company.

Cons

Way too much high-fiving and self congratulatory behavior, with attitudes of such conceit & arrogance that defy logical explanation. A few too many employees having inter-office extramarital affairs. Enough gossip and distractions to prevent anything useful nor productive from at least 50% of their workforce. I personally didn't think it was going on any more or less than after the owner's death.

Pay competitive wages and hire more outside help with degrees, and get rid of entrenched culture of yes-men and yes-give-it-to-me-more-women.

There are newer employer reviews for Food Services of America