Manufacturing Engineer Intern

Former Intern - Manufacturing Engineer in Woodhaven, MI
Former Intern - Manufacturing Engineer in Woodhaven, MI

I worked at Ford Motor Company as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was allowed to work on major projects right away. My opinion was taken into consideration and sometimes implemented. I was treated like an equal and when I excelled at my work, it never went unnoticed.

Cons

Sometimes given tasks that were a little over my knowledge base (lack of experience) and criticized for not knowing the solution. This is the downfall of taking on projects and being treated like a full-time employee but gained a wealth of knowledge from it.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Every stressful at times, but the people are pretty cool to work with.

Current Contractor - Project Lead in Dearborn, MI
    Current Contractor - Project Lead in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of great technology, and a lot to learn since your involvement with a lot of different teams. Everyone just wants to get their job done so they can look good.

Cons

Hard to become a full time employee from being a vendor/contractor, wishing their was a way to become a direct hire.

Advice to Management

Look at vendors and contractors who's doing a good job and hire these people directly instead of losing their talent to other companies.

Overall good company-- if you're a man.

Current Employee - Commodity Buyer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Commodity Buyer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The pay is extrememly competitive. -Work-life balance policy. -There are some really great supervisors. -Not expected to work significany overtime.

Cons

-It can be a bit of a boys' club. Sometimes women are given a hard time when they take maternity leave, or try to utilize the work-life balance policy. No one will admit it, but there is still a boys' club at the top. The most successful women are the ones who pretend they aren't. -Your experience and opinion of the company can vary greatly depending on your supervisor. I have had two really great supervisors and one that makes me want to leave the company today. -Lack of training. They are trying to change this, but it's a hard culture to change. -There is a ridiculous amount of paperwork. Nothing gets approved without upper level management signing off. -Cross functional interaction can be tense at times. -Many of the tasks are simply exercises in pushing numbers around.

Advice to Management

Cut out the paperwork, the bureaucracy and the boys' club mentality. This is 2014-- get with the "flex" work program-- and make sure the working level gets the memo!