Ford Motor

www.ford.com

Can be the best place you ever worked for. All depends on where you land

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Dearborn, MI

ProsAlan Mullally has been the greatest thing that has ever happened to Ford.
Loads of talented caring people.
Lots of room for growth.
Lots of potential for those who work hard.
Flexible hours.
Company allows for 16 hours of paid time off to do community service.
It can be your dream job.

ConsThere are pockets of evil backstabbing jerks. If you land in one of those areas, make sure that you do not make yourself indispensable as the only way to get away from them is to quit or for them to not want you in their area.
Unfortunately in some areas the evil backstabbing jerks extend several layers and they promote their own kind.
The interview process does not let you meet your coworkers or boss so it is the luck of the draw. In general for IT avoid older technology areas.

There are many older workers who despite evidence to the contrary feel that decades old processes are wonderful. They pat each other on the back while the competition blazes ahead. They spend their time walking thru the parking lot taking pictures/videos of nonFord vehicles (sometimes keying them). They then email pictures and videos to coworkers trying to make them look bad if they aren't driving a Ford. I drove my wife's car to work one day and they keyed it. Now I will never convince her to drive a Ford.

There are a small number of clueless managers. But they are rarely evil.

A lot of infighting between mid and lower level managers. Mulally has stopped the higher level mgmt infighting

White collar benefits have become worse than blue collar benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that mid and lower level mgmt get the message about One Ford and stop the petty infighting. The number 1 cause of cost overruns and missed deadlines is politics. But that is not what is communicated upwards.

Stop promoting the evil backstabbers. Remove them from the workforce. Everyone knows they will never change, they just become more polished and harder to detect.

Good people, good pay, very easy to fall off the advancement track without even noticing

Finance Manager (Current Employee) Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Very big company, lots and lots and lots of opportunities in many different fields, you will like your colleagues. You will like more than… Cons: A small number of your direct bosses will be evil backstabbing jerks. A small number of your direct bosses will be completely ignorant. It is… Advice to Senior Management: Walk the walk. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Fabulous company -- Get ready to work hard but rewarding.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Family values - corporate attempt at work-life balance. Cons: Long hours which often impede work-life balance. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Ford Motor.

Worked for Ford Motor? Contribute to the Community!