Great for a first job.

I have been working at Forever 21

Pros

Fun environment. Good music. Great experience.

Cons

Bad hours. No discounts. Mean managers.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Horrible management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA

I worked at Forever 21 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount on clothes. Decent hours. Was offered the salary that I had asked for

Cons

I was given zero training after I was hired. On my first day, every thing was so unorganized and I was expected to know what style was in each department because they had figured that I had training, so I looked like a complete fool. I finally found my supervisor and had told her that I hadnt received any training yet. She had someone walk me around the entire store, the store in Chico, which is the one I worked out, is huge, and explain to me the styles in the briefest amount of time. Not nearly enough time to remember all of it. I was extremely disappointed in their management skills.

Advice to Management

Give your newly hired employees training before their first day

Company Culture and Vision Lacking

Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Forever 21 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at corporate HQ provides an in depth look at what the company's business model is and what they are hiding. The pros: the atmosphere in the accounting department is very laid back except on month and year ends. It's very much like a school environment where you can exchange ideas and have open dialogue with your peers.

Cons

Although you do have open dialogue with your peers, the managers are a different story. 90% of management are very vague about what they want and I believe a large portion of them to have very little subject matter experience. There is also a culture of "managing" by fear and I have witnessed one Director use a personal grudge as grounds to lay off a worker. The turnover at corporate is roughly around 50% and the systems are all developed in house. Information availability is lacking so decision making is very reactive or even non existent.

Advice to Management

Change has to start at the top. The founder needs to realize that being surrounded by "yes" men is not a good way to go about running the company. He needs to update the digital infrastructure of the company because it will not support the company going further. He needs to put competent people in key positions (case in point, the warehouse managers are all relatives but they believe manual work is faster than machines and their key solution is to hire more temp workers).

Destroy this culture of ruling by fear and actually use encouragement to retain key talent. If it doesn't start at the top, then there is really no way change will occur.