There are newer employer reviews for Forever 21

Fun job at times, but definitely not worth what you get paid.

Current Employee - Head Cashier
Current Employee - Head Cashier

I have been working at Forever 21 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They're almost always hiring and getting the job is pretty easy.
Managers do what they can to give you the days off that you want.
The dress code is basically non-existent so you can wear whatever you want.
Hours vary, but if you ask for more you'll usually get more.
If you stay with the company, moving up is pretty easy.
Full time employees get benefits as well as bonuses which come every quarter.

Cons

For the amount of work you do, the pay is awful. The return policy makes customer service a nightmare and the store is almost always trashed. If you're a closer, you don't leave until the store is spotless, and during holiday that can take over three hours past mall close.
Turn-over is high for associates as well as management (store management and upper), so it sometimes feels like no one knows what they're talking about.
You're on your feet, running around the store, all day which really takes it's toll, especially when breaks are only 10 minutes (meal break is 30).
The employee discount is awful. You really feel under appreciated for the amount of work you do.

Train your DMs and store managers better! Get more input from your lower level employees - sales associates have a lot to say! Understand the grief cashiers get from such a horrible return policy and please PAY MORE! We are overworked and underpaid. And for the sake of all employees AND customers, stop forcing stores to have their music up so loud!

reviews filtered by

Fast paced and not always the most pleasant environment.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Yorktown Heights, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Yorktown Heights, NY

I worked at Forever 21 part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-typically co-workers are easy to get along with
    -if you prove to be efficient you will receive good hours (I worked almost 30 hours in the summer)
    -the salary isn't too bad
    -yearly pay raises depending on performance (used to be every 6 months but I guess Mr. Chang is cheap...)

Cons

-I don't think that the company cares for it's employees overall, at least not in the retail branch of the company. I was with the company for three years and have heard many stories of fellow co-workers who constantly called our Human Resources department with reasonable complaints and nothing was ever done about it.

-It's a fast paced environment. If you're doing everything that's expected of you don't expect to be standing around. And don't be surprised if you're nagged if you are standing around doing nothing.

-They *suggest* that you come in ten minutes early for every shift. Why not just /schedule me/ ten minutes earlier then????

-When a manager schedules you they don't always take into consideration how many days you are working/when you are working. For example I've worked 5 closing shifts in a row before, some eight or more hours. I've closed and then opened the next morning. And it becomes exhausting.

-They like to be open ten minutes earlier and close ten minutes later, which is a giant hassle at night, especially when you've got last minute shoppers who are "just browsing"

-CUSTOMERS ARE THE ACTUAL WORST. Seriously I think Forever 21 has some of the nastiest f'n customers. I'm not saying they're all terrible but They're not all peachy, either.

-Closing standards, let me give you a rundown --- 1) nothing can be on the floor 2) piles must be in size order, folded exactly the same and tags must be tucked 3) all piles must be scrunched 4) all shoes must face to the right 5) everything must be in the correct place 6) hanger tape (the strings in shirts and dresses) must be tucked into the product and not sticking out. And this can get very tedious when it is not taken care of as little as one night prior. 7) faceouts must be sized, same goes for 4-ways and/or any focal fixture. 8) all hangers must be leveled, even top bars and high faceouts: so you need to get on a ladder and fix those too.

with that being said, Closing is a very difficult task when you are in charge of 2-3 rooms, and if you've ever been inside of a forever 21 store I'm sure you know these rooms are not small. If you're on the register or in the fitting room it's even more of a challenge to get everything cleaned, because you have other duties to perform and checklists to complete (ie: clean the cashwrap/the fitting rooms) Cashiers also have to stay later to count the money with the closing manager, which can get annoying when it's already 11:40 and you've got to be there in the morning to open.

We typically spend an hour and a half to two hours cleaning the store, and that's after a moderately slow night. Of course this depends on the efficiency of your closing team as well but 9 times out of 10 a kid straight out of high school isn't going to want to do all of this work. The next morning your close will be judged, so to speak. Your visual manager (the person who dresses mannequins, places clothes around the store, does the overall design) will do a walkthrough of the entire store and make call-outs. If there is legitimately one piece of clothing on the floor you will be written up, as well as your closing manager.

-management is not the wisest, I've had my fair share of good and bad managers. Typically the 'good' managers never last long and the company will do whatever they can to weed them out. I truly believe they find ways to tick off the managers that people actually like to make them leave. The managers that have lasted are usually young, early to mid twenties. How can they possibly have experience/the knowledge to run a store at the age of 22???

-overall there's a lot of drama when it comes to management, and people are constantly promoted because they're friends with someone, instead of because they're qualified or because they deserve the job.

WORKING AT FOREVER 21 IS LIKE BEING IN HIGH SCHOOL ALL OVER AGAIN.

-Get more coverage.
    -Take your employees' well being into consideration.
    -Don't make us do pointless stuff when we could be cleaning to get out of there faster to save that precious payroll that you need so much. Ie: DON'T MAKE US HANG BOXES OF CLOTHES AT 8:00 WHEN THE STORE IS A F'N MESS.

Amazing place to shop, terrible place to work

Former Employee - XXI Sales Associate in Aventura, FL
    Former Employee - XXI Sales Associate in Aventura, FL

I worked at Forever 21 part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The discount is okay, the fact that they don't mind hairstyles and let you pretty much wear what you want within reason of course. Fast pace

Cons

As soon as I started there, employees were already telling me how much I wont enjoy it down the line and how management will basically do everything in their power to keep you working on a sick day. They messed up my schedule 2 weeks in a row and wouldn't let me leave on the day I wasn't even supposed to be working! I fell ill and managers basically gave me the run-around as far as who to talk to. They literally said " we have a line and cant deal with you right now". I went to the back room to go "sit and try and feel better" as they suggested, a manager walked in and said " are you ok?" I replied, " no i dont feel too well" and he only replied " oh.. oh well then." Just because jobs are scarce does NOT give them the right to treat workers like crapola. Needless to say, I quit the next day.

be more considerate when speaking to employees, get organized

There are newer employer reviews for Forever 21