There are newer employer reviews for FortisBC

Started off great but recently has started to go down hill

I have been working at FortisBC

Pros

Decent benefits, competitive salary, location

Cons

Promotions within can be unfair at times, hard to get the recognition one deserves.

19 Other Employee Reviews for FortisBC (View Most Recent)

Nice place, Good people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kelowna, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kelowna, BC (Canada)

I have been working at FortisBC

Pros

Kelowna and the southern part of BC is a nice place to live.
    Electric and gas utilities make for secure employment
    The company pays an good salary if you don't consider Alberta

Cons

Engineers should be able to participate in field work and get more hands on opertunities. It is difficult to find opertunities to get out of the office.
    frequent changes to management and reporting structure

A better mentoring program would be helpful, the EIT program could provide more support for goal setting and comunication about expectations and improvements. It has been difficult to get recommendations for improvements even when requested.
    Limited opertunity to be involved in field work or participate in tasks other than sitting in front of a computer screen - it would be nice to learn in the field as well..

Good secure company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  North Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Surrey, BC (Canada)

I worked at FortisBC

Pros

Large opportunities for advancement or transfers to positions around the company. Open and well-lit work environment. Good career/social life balance with a lot of options regarding maternity leave, vacations and employee-made events. Very secure job, typically business doesn't fluctuate too heavily. The CEO Randy Jespersen is an incredible guy. When I started I wanted to meet with him and irregardless of my lowly position, we had lunch and he shared some insightful knowledge with me.

Cons

A lot of people tend to work there to receive their retirement package, not a lot of motivation around you to push to the next level. Management gives you performance reviews and opportunities to advance but most people ignore it. Information can tend to get stuck in departments and not readily shared unless you know the right people in other departments. Can be too bureaucratic at times when trying to implement a creative solution to a problem.

Change the workforce dynamics, and allow for more creative input from employees. Get them more involved in the financial health of the company and improve the information flow.

There are newer employer reviews for FortisBC

Worked for FortisBC? Contribute to the Community!