Fossil
www.fossil.com Richardson, TX 5000+ Employees

Great discount, if you can afford to use it!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fossil

Pros-The casual dress code is wonderful, but I wish we could wear Doc Martens!
-Extremely generous employee discount.
-Beautiful design aesthetics in merchandise and clothing.
-The managers all work second jobs too, so they are good about scheduling around your second job if you have one. If you work for this company, you should have one.
-If you don't like your managers or co-workers, you can wait six months and have all new ones!
- Lots of time off. Lots, and lots and lots. (No vacation pay for part-timers.)
- The people at HR are always very kind and answer all kinds of questions.

Cons- All sales associates are delegated to limited, or part-time status. This will sometimes mean 3 hours a week scheduled and a maximum of 25, and four on-call shifts that you probably will not be working because there are multiple employees with the same on-call. When I was hired, I was told that I could receive full-time after Christmas, which would have been my 90 day mark. I've had weeks where I tried to pick up shifts, but had to be cut on other days because I had too many hours for the week.

- The Tier system is awful. I cannot trade hours with anyone outside of my Tier, pick up a shift from outside of my Tier, and if someone with limited availability settles into Tier 1, not only do they get the peak hours, all other Tiers have to be scaled to allow Tier 1 to get the most hours. So if that person is only available (and scheduled) for 8 hours a week, then the other Tiers cannot exceed 8 hours per person, regardless of scheduling needs. It hurts management most of all, since their long-term employees are now being penalized because someone had a lucky break on their one shift a week.

- I have been with the company for 16 months. I have never received a review, a raise, and I do not qualify for any benefits because only full-time employees are eligible. Only managers are given the option for full-time. I took every available shift I could last year and made less than $6K. I cannot even afford to use my generous discount, because I make less than $300 a month and receive government assistance. Silly me for taking this job over another one I was offered because this one offered advancement from within and I was willing to relocate!

- The company has never shown any evidence of promotion from within. All of my DMs have been outside hires. All of my store managers were outside hires. All of my assistant managers were outside hires. And for the two times that an ASM position became available, our DM wouldn't even interview any of the three of us who had applied, all of us with many years of retail management experience. She wouldn't even meet us, but she flew out to interview an outside applicant. As for my own assistant manager, he has applied for store manager three times, and rejected three times. He has been our lead assistant since our location opened, and to add insult to injury, actually trained all of his bosses.

- Constant turn-over of management is stressful. From DM to SM to ASM. And I'm just a part-timer! I cannot imagine the stress that my managers must feel when we are given a whole new set of rules to follow and they have to take the backlash for it.

- The pay is absolutely not competitive. Even my managers work second jobs because they are not being paid competitively. And my location has a paid parking garage (we are in a downtown location), and I'm being paid 50 cents above minimum wage, which I was told would only be for the first 90 days.

- You will do floor moves every two weeks. And most of the time, there will not be the props or merchandise available to complete it. And it's now YOUR problem to fix. It's a shame that there aren't people who don't work in warehouses just to make sure you have what you need...

- On-call shifts. They suck. You can't count on them either way. And if you have a long commute, like me, you have to call at least 1.5 hours in advance, and get a "I don't know. Just wait a little while longer, okay?"

-Your schedule will change at the drop of a hat. If you have days off in a row, don't make plans. You will find out two hours in advance that someone changed your schedule and never called you. It happens to me at least three times a month.

- Highly disorganized company to work for. From communication from on high to how our shipments are processed, this is like working for a mom and pop company some days, instead of a major corporation. This company excels at micromanagement, but as for company-wide management, it's a mess.

Advice to Senior Management- The company preaches that we do not promote a culture of hard-selling. This could not be further from the truth. I have to not only hard-sell, but report back to my manager for each customer that chooses not to buy and review what I did wrong. And if I don't reach the top tier of selling, then I get my hours cut? Why not just pay us on commission like all the other hard-selling jobs that are out there? At least then I would be motivated to sell more! Because when Tier 1 people are getting 9 hours a week and Tier 3 people are getting 3 hours a week, I just don't see the point there! I'm still eligible for food stamps either way.

- This Tier system is terrible! What an awful idea! People in Tier 3 get stuck, and people in Tier 1, even our limited availability employees, are able to squat. And if you read my posts above, you know why this is a terrible idea!

-Floor moves. I do most of the visual for my location, and can say that along with numerous inconsistencies, blurry pictures, and style numbers that are entered incorrectly, you would think that Fossil would set their stores up for success by actually sending the props and products needed for the displays and promotions.

- Also! Promotions. Accessory stores never run sales. I lose customers because of this. And could we PLEASE offer a military discount?! My store is in a high-military area, and it is embarrassing to tell people all day long that we do not offer a military discount. Again, I have lost customers over this who interpret the lack of a discount as "We don't care about our military." As many arguments as I have with that mentality, I have to say if that's going to help a store succeed, then offer one! That's just good PR!

- If you aren't going to offer competitive pay or promote from within, just say so! I turned down another job because I really believed what the company representative told me about reviews, raises, benefits. I didn't realize she was brand new to the company as well...

- Most of the reviews that are good come from Richardson, TX. I think you should look into why the rest of us are so unhappy and have so many of the same complaints!

This is a company with authentic company culture, with great potential growth.

I have been working at Fossil

Pros: Company is growing and many new opportunities will probably come up… Cons: I don't see enough of management continuously coaching and developing… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

work place

I have been working at Fossil

Pros: Very friendly envirnoment; they totally respect work / life balance; Management are… Cons: They are not competive with pay structures and they are inconsistent with pay… Advice to Senior Management: re-evaluate salaries and pay structures - it's currently unfair, inconsistent… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Fossil.

Worked for Fossil? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fossil reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fossil CEO Kosta N. Kartsotis. All reviews posted anonymously by Fossil employees.