There are newer employer reviews for France Telecom

Not as Bad As People Think

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  South San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at France Telecom

Pros

Orange is a global company, very innovative we work on cutting edge technology. Very confortable atmosphere to work in. The lab has a unique history and now appears to be more insightful about the skillsets that are needed to become a world reknowned lab and they are moving to that end.

They are a very stable company and are still on track for paying bonuses and merit increases which is very positive since many companies doing this economic down turn cannot financially afford to do this.

Cons

France Telecom does offer mobility and career advancement but you have to be willing to move to Europe.

Getting approvals from the parent company in France can be timely and unfortunately we all have to suffer because of the timeliness issue which is quite normal for companies who have there parent company in another country..

Some of the downsides are that many of the employees there have worked there for some time and have adopted very negative demotivating attitudes that unfortunately effect the morale of others..

Communicate more with staff by having more frequent meetings

54 Other Employee Reviews for France Telecom (View Most Recent)

Can be interesting but also very frustrating at time

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at France Telecom

Pros

Part of the positives with working for this lab is that with a little bit of luck and research, you get to choose what you work on. If you to sell it internally within the lab, then you get to build a prototype and to sell it to our headquarters. If you can sell the concept and get sponsorship, you get to drill-down on your topic, build working prototype, attend conferences, meet other companies and become a knowledge expert in the field. Another benefit is that in this economy, working for Orange feels more stable than working for a lot of the other companies in the Valley.

Cons

Being part of a subsidiary that is part of something as big as France Telecom means that you sometimes feel like a very small fish, there is a lot of ambiguity trying to comprehend all the politics in place.
    There are also very few opportunities for advancement.

More ways to reward employees for good work as advancement is almost impossible

If you don't have to work here, Don't

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at France Telecom

Pros

well, it is a R&D institute, not the acadamic style, but more like a lab. I got to experiment with different new ideas and products, to work on things that seem interesting to me. I don't have work on the same project/product over and over again as in most industrial companies.

Cons

For one, management sucks. Their idea of "working" is like government agency. You have to physically sit in your seat to work!
    And HR and Tech support also are also incompetent. Most stuff employees take for granted in other companies, you have to personally take care of yourself. From intalling project pc, to your 401k. If you don't, you are messed up.

Understand the intelligence part of our job and be flexible. Happy employees, happy company!

There are newer employer reviews for France Telecom

Worked for France Telecom? Contribute to the Community!