There are newer employer reviews for Franklin Covey

Good place to work, as long as there is a place to work.

Current Employee - District Manager in Toledo, OH
Current Employee - District Manager in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Franklin Covey

Pros

Ability to impact customers and employees in a positive way.

Cons

The product is very slow to adapt to customer's needs, making the stores themselves obsolete.

Advice to Management

The field is expected to turn on a dime, expect the same from everyone.

reviews filtered by

Franklin Covey needs to practice more of what it preaches

Current Employee - Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Franklin Covey

Pros

I have great coworkers and we strive to support each other; we have a generous 3 weeks minimum PTO per yr (but can't carry it over); I'm able to work independently (not micromanaged); it's never boring--there's a lot of variety in job duties; I never worry about being able to get time off work if I need it (management doesn't question it if I get someone to back me up). Great clients and I definitely feel important/valued by the clients and sales force. Don't have to work weekends, holidays. Fairly decent pay.

Cons

The job can get quite stressful--always reacting to emergencies. There's a lot of turnover, so the workload is quite demanding because we are quite often doing 2 people's worth of work. Taking time off gets stressful trying to get ahead enough to take a vacation, and then catching up when back in the office. Duties continually increase as business grows, but our wages stay the same. Although everyone one in the company (including senior management) are great people, it seems some people get positions based on personality or office politics vs ability, and there's not a very open environment to raise concerns--if you question a decision you're viewed as being disloyal or a troublemaker instead of trying to make things better. There's a lot of overtime!!! Maybe another company I would just think that's how corporate-america is and I should just be grateful for a job, but since we're FranklinCovey, we preach being a lot better than that--I would like to see it practiced a lot more!

Advice to Management

I think that senior management doesn't realize just how much coordinators have to handle/keep track of--just how big our workload is, and how complicated it can be. I think they may look at us more as entry level customer service reps, and we're FAR beyond that. I would like them to streamline procedures and systems to make our job easier, to initiate ways where we can raise concerns or questions in a healthy open way, to pay us a little more to help compensate for the stress and turnover. Look at ways to reduce workload and enhance work/life balance (since that's what we preach).

When looking at the retail division, look before you leap.

Former Employee - Retail Store Sales Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Retail Store Sales Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Franklin Covey

Pros

FranklinCovey offers Sundays off to all employees. The medical and dental plan is great and employees get a decent discount on products and services from the company.

Cons

There is little or no room for advancement. The company is undergoing changes and is firing a lot of sales managers and is trying to figure out how the retail operation division is running. Sales Manager (retail store managers) are expected to put in 40+ hours per week. If a manager falls short of 40 hours they must use a minimum of 4 hours of PTO. There is little to no solid communication from the top down unless it is emergency situations. Training is lacking and clear direction is desperately needed.

Advice to Management

Make sure individual stores have a defenative goal with a deadline. The goal to grow business means one thing to senior management who is putting more products into Staples, Office Max, Office Depot and other big box retailers compared to the struggles the corporate owned stores are going through.
    Define store territiories in multi store markets and come up with solid sales training if you truely want your store manager to be outside sales manager.