Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

www.fhcrc.org

Wonderful organization, repulsive management

Project Manager II (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsTo work with a nonprofit who helps people struggling with cancer.

ConsHired off the internet by a (former, nolonger there, asked to leave) manager who recruited me. They hired someone else but 6 months later, came back asking for another interivew so I did and got the job in thier Statistical Research Center. My manager would tell me to get to know all the software apps he had developed, yet wouldn't give me access codes so I would fail. He enjoyed telling me I was "stupid" every day. I have a masters degree and an amazing resume and am not stupid.

When I appealed to other colleagues, they appeared to be afraid of him. He would tell us (3 person team) which way our chairs were supposed to face when we walked out of the office. Even though Fred Hutch has a huge assortment of classes, I was denied attending any, ever, althoug I was FTE. When interviewed (and this was twice) I stated I did NOT do software dev, and the then manager assured me that since he and our colleague were devs, I would never have to do it. When I walked out, I had 6 software dev assignements. I even hired a tutor but software dev was nowhere to be found in the job description. NONE.

When I quit, upper management (no one is there anylonger, all fired) intstructed met to take my meticulous documentation to the hilarious Fred Hutch HR. I called and emaild for 7 business days before I realized they had no intention of ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, getting back. I brought a member of Seattle's local TV consumer protection team with me to collect my things. This manager has since been fired. I conferred with the person who was in this job before me, and he revealed that this same manager had physically threatened him, into giving the manager a great annual review.

Insane. Unfair. Illegal. Avoid Fred Hutch by all means. It looks good on paper, but the abuse level is so high there, it is best to let their shareholders try and houseclean the abuseres before going in there. Not a safe place. NOT.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire SEASONED MANAGERS, not some dev who can't communicate and who is obviously extremely mentally ill and abusing substance on a daily, workplace basis.

Great atmosphere

Research Technician (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time for more than a year

Pros: The hours are good and the people are wonderful. Cons: Some weekend work and there can be rude people sometimes. Advice to Senior Management: Take care of your people and let them know if there is… More

The Hutch is a good place to work, but not a good place to develop your career.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: You're work will help make people healthier and happier. Work-life balance is respected. Personal… Cons: People in management are successful MDs and PhDs and often have neither the training nor talent for managing people. People without MDs or PhDs are undervalued. Very… Advice to Senior Management: Let managers run the place; let MDs and PhD contribute… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

Worked for Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center? Contribute to the Community!