There are newer employer reviews for Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Wonderful organization, repulsive management

Former Employee - Project Manager II in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Project Manager II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

To work with a nonprofit who helps people struggling with cancer.

Cons

Hired off the internet by a (former, nolonger there, asked to leave) manager who recruited me. They hired someone else but 6 months later, came back asking for another interivew so I did and got the job in thier Statistical Research Center. My manager would tell me to get to know all the software apps he had developed, yet wouldn't give me access codes so I would fail. He enjoyed telling me I was "stupid" every day. I have a masters degree and an amazing resume and am not stupid.

When I appealed to other colleagues, they appeared to be afraid of him. He would tell us (3 person team) which way our chairs were supposed to face when we walked out of the office. Even though Fred Hutch has a huge assortment of classes, I was denied attending any, ever, althoug I was FTE. When interviewed (and this was twice) I stated I did NOT do software dev, and the then manager assured me that since he and our colleague were devs, I would never have to do it. When I walked out, I had 6 software dev assignements. I even hired a tutor but software dev was nowhere to be found in the job description. NONE.

When I quit, upper management (no one is there anylonger, all fired) intstructed met to take my meticulous documentation to the hilarious Fred Hutch HR. I called and emaild for 7 business days before I realized they had no intention of ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, getting back. I brought a member of Seattle's local TV consumer protection team with me to collect my things. This manager has since been fired. I conferred with the person who was in this job before me, and he revealed that this same manager had physically threatened him, into giving the manager a great annual review.

Insane. Unfair. Illegal. Avoid Fred Hutch by all means. It looks good on paper, but the abuse level is so high there, it is best to let their shareholders try and houseclean the abuseres before going in there. Not a safe place. NOT.

Hire SEASONED MANAGERS, not some dev who can't communicate and who is obviously extremely mentally ill and abusing substance on a daily, workplace basis.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great atmosphere

Current Employee - Research Technician in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The hours are good and the people are wonderful.

Cons

Some weekend work and there can be rude people sometimes.

Take care of your people and let them know if there is from for advancement. Treat them like you would want to be treated.

The Hutch is a good place to work, but not a good place to develop your career.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You're work will help make people healthier and happier.
    Work-life balance is respected.
    Personal health is supported.
    Benefits are decent.
    Family friendly.
    Accepting of all different kinds of people.

Cons

People in management are successful MDs and PhDs and often have neither the training nor talent for managing people.
    People without MDs or PhDs are undervalued.
    Very little opportunity for moving up, getting meaningful raises, etc., unless you move to a different group within the Hutch.
    IT infrastructure is embarrassingly behind.
    Pay is low.

Let managers run the place; let MDs and PhD contribute as valuable subject area experts.

There are newer employer reviews for Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center