Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

There are newer employer reviews for Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Research Interviewer

Current Employee - Research Interviewer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Research Interviewer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, very nice and friendly co-workers, beautiful office and neighborhood, free parking on weekends, weekdays 10 hour metered street parking available

Cons

The job nature is pretty boring, but luckily supervisors let you train on other stuff once you get a hand on what you are working on.

114 Other Employee Reviews for Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (View Most Recent)

Fred Hutch is a great place to work if you want a fulfilling job, but not a place to make a ton of money

Current Employee - Research Technician Supervisor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Technician Supervisor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture of the Hutch is great, the majority of the people who work there are helpful and great to work with. Since so many different diseases and illnesses are researched, not just cancer, you can really be a part of improving many people's lives.

Cons

Well to be blunt, unless you are a PI, you should work at Fred Hutch because you want to make a difference, not because you want to make a lot of money. Since the PI's are "managers" and are not trained in how to manage, it can be difficult to move up or get good raises.

Take to managing out of the PI's hands. They are there to research, not manage staff!

Wonderful organization, repulsive management

Former Employee - Project Manager II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

To work with a nonprofit who helps people struggling with cancer.

Cons

Hired off the internet by a (former, nolonger there, asked to leave) manager who recruited me. They hired someone else but 6 months later, came back asking for another interivew so I did and got the job in thier Statistical Research Center. My manager would tell me to get to know all the software apps he had developed, yet wouldn't give me access codes so I would fail. He enjoyed telling me I was "stupid" every day. I have a masters degree and an amazing resume and am not stupid.

When I appealed to other colleagues, they appeared to be afraid of him. He would tell us (3 person team) which way our chairs were supposed to face when we walked out of the office. Even though Fred Hutch has a huge assortment of classes, I was denied attending any, ever, althoug I was FTE. When interviewed (and this was twice) I stated I did NOT do software dev, and the then manager assured me that since he and our colleague were devs, I would never have to do it. When I walked out, I had 6 software dev assignements. I even hired a tutor but software dev was nowhere to be found in the job description. NONE.

When I quit, upper management (no one is there anylonger, all fired) intstructed met to take my meticulous documentation to the hilarious Fred Hutch HR. I called and emaild for 7 business days before I realized they had no intention of ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, getting back. I brought a member of Seattle's local TV consumer protection team with me to collect my things. This manager has since been fired. I conferred with the person who was in this job before me, and he revealed that this same manager had physically threatened him, into giving the manager a great annual review.

Insane. Unfair. Illegal. Avoid Fred Hutch by all means. It looks good on paper, but the abuse level is so high there, it is best to let their shareholders try and houseclean the abuseres before going in there. Not a safe place. NOT.

Hire SEASONED MANAGERS, not some dev who can't communicate and who is obviously extremely mentally ill and abusing substance on a daily, workplace basis.

There are newer employer reviews for Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center