Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

www.fredhutch.org
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Good community of individuals passionate about what they do

Former Employee - Project Coordinator II in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Project Coordinator II in Seattle, WA

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Large enough to have policies and procedures for most things, but small enough to make it feel personal. It is easy to get to know most people within your division. Even at the lowest levels it is easy to get to know upper management of your division, and they are typically willing to work with staff to develop skills and enhance portfolios to keep the job challenging and interesting. FHCRC is willing to hire those without specific research administration experience if the skills the candidate has are a good match for the position.

Cons

Project Coordinators are essentially the single administrative person for their faculty, so they end up doing many tasks outside their job descriptions. As with all research institutions dependent on outside funding, budgets are tight and there is a Center-wide awareness of costs at every turn.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great place for undergraduate research

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great mentors, close ties with the university. Mentors have less various responsibilities and are usually more tied n with their labs.

Cons

Farther away than university labs

Advice to Management

Standard pay/funding for undergrads, even if it isn't a bunch. We do a whole bunch

Great work/life balance, Management could improve

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Plushy offices - the offices are much better than some large companies like Amazon or Microsoft.
    Great work-life balance. If you want to come in late and leave early, no one will stop you. Great for people who are active; there's a lot of encouragement to commute by bicycle and general physical fitness, very appropriate for a cancer-prevention org. The people are generally well-educated and concerned about world issues.

Cons

Top management makes all the decisions. I'm in mar-com, and my team and I have to do a lot of education and training on what we do. While the management has slowly come to learn what is important, they still waste a lot of money on things they do not understand.

Advice to Management

Trust the experts in the field, rather than imposing your own biases.

There are newer employer reviews for Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center