Very positive environment!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed workplace, coworkers are easy to get along with, good location, good money, good benefits; just an overall great place to work.

Cons

It can be hard to move up, and the politics in some other parts of the organization aren't that great.

Advice to Management

Be open with your employees, try to reward good work rather than just admonish things that need improvement, and continue to challenge us!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Toxic, smug, unprofessional management

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for an organization that works to cure cancer and HIV/AIDS Great location

Cons

Lack of skilled management. Project Coordinators (at least mine, I should say) was woefully unskilled in how to manage/supervise, never training you, just expecting you to be psychic when you walk in the door, and setting you up to fail. HR is completely useless. As in other reviews, they do not care about you if you are not science/research staff or faculty. Administrative staff are regarded as second class citizens.

Advice to Management

Management should all be required to take classes on how to effectively train and supervise if they are required to do so in their role. Program Coordinators blame lower-level admins for their own ineptitude. High pressure, high stress grant dependent environment. My direct supervisor was hostile, completely incapable of training, and obviously had personal issues that caused anger problems. I found out afterwards that I had been this department's fourth assistant, and now understand why I would get the "sympathy glance" when I informed them who I reported to.

2. Program Assistant

I worked at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

Pros

The Lake Union area is lovely - great restaurants, parks and cafes.

Cons

The culture has changed with the new leadership. No longer feels like "family."