Fred Meyer

Hours suck

Current Employee - Apparel Clerk in Puyallup, WA
Current Employee - Apparel Clerk in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time

Pros

It is great when it is near Christmas and they give you about 25-30 hours.

Cons

It sucks after the new year that they cut your hours to about 18 a week, just a few hours shy of being able to maintain the benefits. You have to pay union dues even though if you don't get enough hours, it really doesn't seem to do you any good.

HR states they want to make sure you can get benefits, so make sure no one gets hired at less than the required amount per department unless it is for an awfully good reason.

319 Other Employee Reviews for Fred Meyer (View Most Recent)

Mostly ups but some downs

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good benefits, associate discounts, opportunities to move up, training is available, most managers and store directors really care about their associates and it shows, flexible schedules available, willingness to hire and work with associates with disabilities, paid days off/vacation/sick pay, schedule is posted 2 weeks out to allow for the ability to plan for activities and appointments, willingness to work with those in school or that have other jobs, opportunities to learn new jobs and change jobs and/or location, weekly pay for hourly associates, overall a good company to work for

Cons

pay is not fair across the store, parcels do not get paid enough for what we ask them to do, hard to get approval for performance raises, cashiers are expected to get customers through lines quickly but they keep cutting the number of hours we can schedule our cashiers for, expect more work from less associates to the point where associates can not even get help for customers from other associates because there are not enough on the floor. We are expected to help keep the store clean but are not allowed extra hours to ensure this can be done regularly.

all district managers should have to work at least 3 full days in stores every 6 months to see how things are on a day to day basis not just when they drop in for a few hours, and actually do the job or the associates not just walking around talking about expectations and maybe doing a little stocking. This would allow them to get a better sense of current challenges that are being faced and maybe can become more of an advocate for the associates in the stores when it comes to MO. They also need to be less stingy with the hours they give the stores, allow managers to write more consistent schedules for their associates, increase pay to encourage more qualified associates to apply and stay. I agree something like Undercover Boss in the actual stores with a day in each department would be a good experience.

Was good outside of the daily drama that persisted in my department

Current Employee - Deli in Shelton, WA
    Current Employee - Deli in Shelton, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Part-Time job that offers dental/medical
    Union requires a minimum amount of hours so you will always be at 20 and no less as a P/T.
    Interacting with a wide variety of customers

Cons

If you're looking for a steady schedule then this is a place you will not find that. It's retail so your schedule will be all over the place. You will work mornings and you will close nights. Wherever their computer places you is where you will go.

The Pay for the department is the lowest and tops out at the lowest. I believe the Deli area is more so the most difficult places to work in the store if not the most difficult and the pay wasn't sufficient for the work that you were required too do.

No real issues with management. I just think things are kind of sloppy there.

There are newer employer reviews for Fred Meyer