Fred Meyer

www.fredmeyer.com
  www.fredmeyer.com
There are newer employer reviews for Fred Meyer

Best you can get in retail. Get in, and get out.

Former Employee - CCK Cashier in Federal Way, WA
Former Employee - CCK Cashier in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay for retail, great benefits, union, HUGE emphasis on customer service, clean and pleasant, ALWAYS more hours to pick up

Cons

ALWAYS more hours to pick up, terrible scheduling, emphasis on cashier speed: which ultimately led to me developing tendonitis and having to leave the company. Overall, it's as good as you're going to get in entry-level retail, so if that's what your standard or your skillset is, go for it.

308 Other Employee Reviews for Fred Meyer (View Most Recent)

Home Electronics Department

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane Valley, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane Valley, WA

I worked at Fred Meyer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working with stuff the newest technology (or for Fred Meyer anyways). We were always behind the times, getting the newest stuff maybe 6 months after it came out. The people in the department were great. Even with all the stuff I write below, I and my team had enough fun at work to pass the days, and was a good overall job to look forward to going to everyday.

Cons

Never enough hours to cover the floor. You would have a task to do, and never have the correct stuff to do the task. It was typical for the main office to have you do a planogram before you even had the product. Very consistently there will be only 1 person on the floor, and the store director is to worried about his bonus to add hours to cover the floor and help customers. We were secret shopped one time per period which was so stupid because everyone knew ahead of time what we would be shopped on, the management had access to the secret shopper website and told us all what the secret shop would be on. So we would only give the "excellent" customer service to customers in those areas, the rest would get ignored because like I stated above there was only one person on the floor most of the time, and to many customers to help. On top of that we had many work tasks to do, and would need to get all of that done on top of helping the customers. Then they would have what they call "hammer time" where one time per hour they would announce its hammer time over the intercom, and various associates would have various things they had to do. The electronics department would have to go greet customers that were walking in the door. Management liked to hang out in the office, and talk about there new car, bonus, or whatever was going on in there daily life. The Store director would sit in his office reading his P&L report and looking confused about it, then would call the managers and tell them to cut hours. Standard Peter Principle stuff. The Managers and Director were typically the people who have worked there the longest. Google it if you don't know what that is. Customers constantly pooped on the floor in the restroom, you wouldn't think it but this happened a few times a week. We had daily huddles where the Director or Department Managers would talk about numbers for about 30 minutes, it was very boring, but a good time to zone out. Normal stuff, lol.

Stop worrying about the new Ford F-150 you want if your bonus is enough. And don't worry about reading the P&L if you don't know how. Worry about taking good care of your associates and they will take care of the store. Most of you do.......

Good company with good ideals. growth opportunity.

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

long term employment opportunity and growth. Benefits are ok. It is retail so if you don't mind weekends or evenings this could match well with your needs. generally most people are nice.

Cons

dysfunctional leadership flow, unsympathetic relationships from supervisors, although there are great programs at hand the busy pace of the stores make it impossible to practice. Most stores are union based so you have to deal with life time employees who hate their jobs but the company doesn't react. Training is good but never actually used. Many measurable ideals to work with under the gun or threat or pandering of middle management outside the store.

stop and realize not everyone is on the same page in your leadership ranks. a lot of redundancies in leadership. where is the labor in the stores? more employees walking around a Walmart at any given moment.

There are newer employer reviews for Fred Meyer