There are newer employer reviews for Fred's

Store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Fred's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

not the most difficult of jobs

Cons

too much work for the pay, work home balance is horriable

rethink payroll and hours worked by store staff

65 Other Employee Reviews for Fred's (View Most Recent)

Worked with good people but corporate policies are terrible

Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Pittsburg, TX
    Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Pittsburg, TX

I worked at Fred's part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Understanding and flexible manager--but not every store is like that

Cons

Policies are not friendly towards longtime employees or college students. Only 4 days a year we got discounts at the store. I was only given a raise once out of working there for 4 years.

End your "no re-hiring" policy, end your policy of removing employees from the system if they are "inactive" for more than 6 weeks, provide a better bonus/raise system and increase employee perks.

Awesome Job for Those Who Wish to Be Barely Compensated for Ridiculous Work

Former Employee - Operations Expert
    Former Employee - Operations Expert

I worked at Fred's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's better than no job at all. That's truly the ONLY nice thing I can say after working there for over 3 years.

Cons

We couldn't keep good employees because they were overworked and under-compensated. The Store Manager frequently had to leave early or not show up at all for "personal" reasons. She was a salaried member so she received that fat paycheck whether she actually worked or not.

Fred's refuses to give employees actual discounts like most retail chains. Twice a year they hold Employee Discount Days. Employees can come into the store, shop, and receive a 20% discount on certain Fred's brand items. That's it.

The pay is a joke! As a supervisor, you're treated like management, but you get no pay benefits. $8.50/hr? Super! I saw an ad for a housekeeping position at a local hospital that would receive OVER $9/hr... to clean toilets. Seriously, Fred's? People get paid more to be less educated and scrub floors. My first raise (after 1 year) was a whopping 17 cents. $8.67/hr to practically run the entire store by myself.

Fred's is NOTORIOUS for advertising a certain product and only carrying it in a small number of stores. The crew I worked with (and myself) were berated constantly over that. The employees can't do anything about not being sent that product. If it's popular enough, the Store Manager can put in a request for it, but you have to know that it'll take weeks to months to actually get some in.

Customer got a problem with a certain store and can't get anything resolved with employees or management? Call the customer service hotline. I can guarantee that corporate WILL contact that store (assuming it's a legitimate complaint) through management channels. Store Managers as well as District and Regional Managers are terrified of getting "ugly ducklings" (complaint) from corporate.

You don't have to be educated AT ALL to be ANY level of management at Fred's. More often than not, they barely have a high school diploma. It's truly embarrassing to have some of those folks representing that company.

There are newer employer reviews for Fred's