Freddie Mac

There are newer employer reviews for Freddie Mac

Decent Company

Current Employee - Accounting Professional in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Accounting Professional in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly the benefits and the internal mobility. Managers generally give strong preference to current employees for open positions, so there is a lot of mobility within the company to learn and experience different parts of the business. There are also a surprising amount of personal growth and learning opportunities to help you gain valuable skills both hard and soft.

Cons

Job growth is near impossible without switching positions, the culture is some of the most passive aggressive I've ever experienced or even heard of. The employees are afraid to put themselves out there, it tends to be a "head down" environment, which is unfortunate given the opportunities that are available to those that choose to take advantage of them.

There's unfortunately not much management can do at this point. They've tried a lot to turn our culture around, and honestly without a "refresh" of the individuals that are contributing to it, programs to help turn it around won't go anywhere (many have tried in the past). Maybe once the government lets our management make decisions about its employees again things will change.

368 Other Employee Reviews for Freddie Mac (View Most Recent)

Workload increase, decreased individual autonomy over the years

Former Employee - IT Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - IT Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary, benefits, company cafeteria
    Depends very much which area/team one is in.

Cons

Many newcomers to the company in recent years, eager to establish themselves at all costs.
    People looking out for themselves more than for the organization/others.
    Yearly re-org in IT in last few years, resulting in layoffs and employees being re-assigned to any open position.
    Management turn-over resulting in change in focus/direction.

5 Years of Excellent Perfmnc Reviews; Coincidence that w/R.E. Crash, 20% RIF I Got 1 Year Poor Perfmnc, Forced Rtrmnt?

Former Employee - Systems Analyst I in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst I in McLean, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was Good for the IT Youth; back in 2000 when the world was collapsing around us elsewhere, FHLMC was a great place to solidify one's dB, SQL, and BI skills. Plus they had a defined benefit plan, matching 401(k), nice annual bonus, and other perks.

Cons

Now all that's gone - as of Jan. 2012, no more defined benefit plan for new employees, no more time-served accrual for current employees; 401(k) is getting worse and worse; annual bonuses aren't what they used to be. Bascially the only folks who work there are either oldtimers waiting for the clock to tick-out for their pensions to kick in, or contractors.

Hand it over to TREAS sooner rather than later, and wave goodbye.

There are newer employer reviews for Freddie Mac