There are newer employer reviews for Freddie Mac

Interview

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time

Pros

Large company offers opportunities for personal growth

Cons

Do not inform you of Interview process. Keep you hanging. When I went for interview found interviewers unprepared with no idea what position I was interviewing for.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Sinking ship with no future - talented IT professionals should avoid like the plague!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

38.75 hour work week Training and educational opportunities Fully-funded master's degree programs with one-year payback period Early releases before some holidays Cafeterias, fitness center, wellness center at McLean headquarters Early pay day if you opt for direct deposit Makes for a good MBA application essay "If you can survive here, you can survive anywhere"

Cons

Low pay relative to market - young IT employees who leave report 30-50% (or higher) increases elsewhere Wage freeze Northern Virginia cost of living (including taxes, tolls, housing) Northern Virginia traffic Northern Virginia politics Mired in excessive politics and bureaucracy, empire building and organizational silos abound Poorly documented, convoluted processes (technology change management) that keep changing for no good reason other than that someone has to justify his or her job - and it's always your fault! Low employee engagement and morale No direction or vision Very negative corporate reputation - people will attack you personally (blame you for the economic problems) when they hear who you work for The "enterprise" is a political piñata under attack from all sides Rumors of outsourcing and layoffs The smart, talented employees have left the building, and the ones left are looking for the exits Ed Haldeman is gone

2. Fun during a tumultuous time

Current Employee - Investment Associate in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Investment Associate in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at Freddie Mac were definitely good people to work with. Most people were nice and warm. Most senior people were also very accessible. The cafeteria also had excellent food. I felt a sense of community there with the active employee networks.

Cons

Given the time I was there, I didn't see a future with the company. There wasn't much room for growth. Also not much salary growth.