CEOs come and go!!

Former Employee - Accountant in McLean, VA
Former Employee - Accountant in McLean, VA

I worked at Freddie Mac full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, but have to be lucky to work in a department that has reasonable hours. The benefits are okay, although it has been reduced in the last year or so. Have many employees that have a lot of experience and knowledge about the industry and the legacy systems. Mostly good people that work well with others.

Cons

Too many changes in the top management. Each CEO brings his own style of management and they all want to reorganize the divisions/departments because they claim to understand things better than the previous administration!! The latest CEO seems to suggest that there are a lot of underperformers in the company, so there is a push for management to be tougher on their staff. Good managers play it fair and push back some, but many feel powerless and do what they are asked to do regardless if it is the right thing to do or not!! Sorry, but CEOs come and go, but the effect they have on the company and the employees can last several years. The company hires experienced executives and managers, but in some cases they are not good leaders because they can't manage people well!!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Management brings its helicopter parent pathology to the workplace. Expect micromanagement and little authority.

Current Employee - Director in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Director in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are smart, nice and now the mortgage market and industry. The company provides a good work/life balance and allows remote working. Take advantage of the numerous training opportunities - it's a great company to learn your skills before going in the private sector.

Cons

Consensus driven decision making and bureaucracy make for a frustrating work environment. Uncertainty regarding the companies future, numerous reorganizations and strategy shifts results in poor employee morale. Prepare to be micromanaged by frustrated empty nested parents.

Advice to Management

Stop the endless meetings. Stop talking and empower the employees to act. Work to transform the passive aggressive culture to more open and positive work environment.

All about saving money to overpay fatcat executives

Current Employee - Business Analyst Professional in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst Professional in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees up to middle management are wonderful. Lots of knowledge and opportunity to work with decent, hardworking employees. There are very nice cafeterias and workout rooms. Good training opportunities as well.

Cons

The company seems focused on pinching pennies at the expense of morale, corporate character and perception of equal treatment. The retirement benefit is gone. Freddie Mac doesn't contribute or allow employees to contribute to a savings plan. The fact that our employer no longer wants to invest in our future is depressing. The fact that we cannot even maintain a plan on our own is discouraging. Freddie has more than repaid the government bailout. We are now pumping money in to the government, doing very well and the company no longer cares about the financial futures of their employees. In addition to not offering a savings plan, Freddie has removed the Soda dispensers from all employee break areas. Freddie offered free fountain sodas to their employees. For soda-drinkers, this was a big deal. Saved a lot of money and helped to make your day a little brighter. After 20 years, Freddie pulled the Soda dispensers for "health reasons". Now we have to get water from the tap. And sodas now cost almost $2 in the cafeteria. So it wasn't enough to stop contributing to our retirement, they also want us to spend more money at their store! Oh and the constant layoffs are also hard on the troops.

Advice to Management

Remember to look down and try to relate to everyone in your department.