Fresenius Medical Care - North America

There are newer employer reviews for Fresenius Medical Care - North America

Great customer service

Current Employee - Charge RN
Current Employee - Charge RN

I have been working at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic coworkers and patients. A great team environment where everyone participates and provides excellent patient care

Cons

Large company makes communication with upper level management difficult.

376 Other Employee Reviews for Fresenius Medical Care - North America (View Most Recent)

Company Culture is Impeccable.

Former Employee - Financial Coordinator
    Former Employee - Financial Coordinator

I worked at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Internal promotions, company looks out for it's employees in some aspects. The company does it's best to let you know that they value your contribution.

Cons

Training=Over load you with tasks and under prepare you! Work-life balance was imaginary. They give you a good amount of PTO but your work load is often too heavy to take advantage of it. Company holds you accountable for lost profits and non-compliant patients.

Give your employees more

Great intro to the medical field, and I might spend my career with them.

Current Employee - Dialysis Technician in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Dialysis Technician in Portland, OR

I have been working at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's great working for a strong, stable company, knowing that you'll never get laid off. The benefits, especially the paid time off, are some of the best I've ever had. You do also learn a lot of practical skills as a technician, and it can be a great introduction to healthcare.

Cons

The culture at work really varies widely from clinic to clinic and depends mostly on the manager. The technicians are taken for granted and worked to the bone. They'd rather churn out new technicians rather than make the experienced technicians happy. Part of that unhappiness is because new technicians' salaries aren't much different than that of experienced technicians. After 5 years of working there, one of my friends got hired on. He showed me what he was making, and it was within $1/hr of my hourly wage. Another tough thing is that there aren't opportunities for promotion. You can make lateral moves into Biomed or as an RCIT (and those roles do have promotions available), but as a patient care technician there are zero promotion opportunities without your RN.

Update your wage scales to differentiate the pay of a new employee from an experienced one. New managers should start out in small clinics and only hire experienced managers for large (>16 chairs) clinics. A large clinic can be overwhelming for a brand new manager. Even consider having an assistant manager for the clinic (possibly a technician) to help share the burden of a large clinic.
    Secondly, when making new policies, please think of the effect they will have on workflow and time constraints. In the 9 years since I started, the pre- and post-treatment care has more steps added and yet the time it's to be completed (15 minutes) hasn't changed since I started. This adds stress for the technicians and I also think it makes it take longer and harder to train new technicians. I've trained about 20 over the years. It used to be that technicians could easily be trained and ready to be on their own in 8-10 weeks, but I'm increasingly seeing technicians needing 12-14 weeks of training and assistance or a lighter workload because new technicians can meet the higher demands that are now placed on technicians.
    Lastly, be willing to fire people. I've only ever seen 2 people get fired in all my years. One was stealing from the company, and the other failed to pass an annual competency exam. Both should have been fired long before that for being unsafe with patients, failing to follow numerous policies, and being unprofessional. I've seen a nurse inject herself with medications. I've seen a technician get in fist fights with patients (the technician started it). I've seen a nurse be the first to observe a patient passed out in a chair and just walk away. The course of action in every case is to transfer the employee to a new clinic, where they repeat the behavior at their new clinic, and rarely ultimately get fired. Even when there isn't a case to fire them, you know when someone is a bad employee and not a good fit, and management should be willing to lay them off, even though it will mean paying unemployment. Bad employees are a cancer to the clinics they work in and drive away good employees and patients.

There are newer employer reviews for Fresenius Medical Care - North America