There are newer employer reviews for FreshDirect

So much potential, so little talent

Current Employee - Runner in Long Island City, NY
Current Employee - Runner in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at FreshDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tips on the routes, and that's about it. The employee discounts are laughable!

Cons

Where do I begin? The hiring practices are deceptive, if you respond to an offer of employment, from anywhere other than the fresh direct web site, you are actually being signed up through an agency (vertex global) and you do not actually become an employee of fresh direct after a three month probationary period. You have to go for a drug/ screen background check, and then they tell you to come in after the results. And this is the problem, they NEVER, EVER follow through on contacting you! If you don't call everyday asking what is the status of the application, you will surely be left in limbo. Sometimes the background checks aren't even done, delaying the start time for training even more. After the 3 to 4 (depending on how they feel) days of training, you get locks, straps and a pouch for the scanner you will be using. You also should recieve your schedule for the route you will be using to make deliveries, but once again the communication from fresh direct (or vertex global rather) is abysmal and you may be left sitting at home for another 2-3 weeks before someone decides to let you know when you will be working. This inevitably puts many people in a tight situation as they never really have an idea of when they will start working. The job itself is very labour intensive, much heavy lifting of goods is involved for the runner position, and tips can be few and far in between depending on where your route is. They pay $8/hr and if this isn't bad enough, the paychecks are ALWAYS short!! Sometimes it takes weeks to be corrected. On top of that, you may barely even make 40hrs/week. Some co-workers are ok, but many are a complete mess! Always high before, during, and after their shifts. This company is notorious for its horrendous turnover, they seem to pride themselves in the fact that they hire every week, 52 weeks a year!

Advice to Management

I really would like to say something, but from what I've experienced, I doubt anyone in management would care and so I won't waste my time.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Awful

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Long Is City, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Long Is City, NY

I have been working at FreshDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was close to home.

Cons

Dirty Set you up to fail Change schedule without prior notice

2. I printed manifests and set routes for drivers

Former Employee - Transportation Clerk in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Transportation Clerk in Long Island City, NY

I worked at FreshDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

there is room for growth and the ability to transfer from departments or states

Cons

very hostile environment. not enough training

Advice to Management

there should be more interacting with employees