Friendship Public Charter School
www.friendshipschools.org Washington, DC 500 to 999 Employees

Good intentions, highly dysfunctional.

Teacher (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Friendship Public Charter School full-time for more than a year

ProsStaff members truly care. They are dedicated, hard working, and supportive of one another
Children
Families
Curriculum, HMH
Facility
Great place to learn to manage work/life balance
Benefits and Pay
It could be MUCH worse

ConsOvercrowded classrooms. Emphasis on enrollment 7:30-4:30, only July off. Efforts, even excellence go unrecognized, or some efforts are even criticized for a proficient performance. Lip service to core values. No structures for students' socio-emotional development. Virtually no community outreach. No consistency with discipline and instructional leadership. District lacks coherent vision. Often, district messages and principal messages do not align. Creativity is discouraged because rigid models must be followed. Teacher support is minimal. High staff turnover with little to no district action or incentive for retention. High expectations with minimal administrative leadership and specifics to support upholding the expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on children and what is truly necessary for children to learn.

My principals were decent. I felt that choices from District were inconsistent and not motivated by student need or best interest.

Mismanagement of funds at District level. Renting out the Mt. Vernon convention center pats the backs of the higher ups, but does not significantly help administration, teachers, or children. The money spent on retreats, and lavish Christmas parties will not increase student achievement either. What might help is to use those funds to provide support of a paraprofessional, additional teacher, or reduce enrollment.

Support teachers instead of demanding they do more. Let teachers go the extra mile instead of demanding they do it. If you hire and retain, teachers with a growth mindset, they will have intrinsic motivation to do what is best for students... which is not always measurable on a "deliverable". At some point, administration needs to trust that teachers are doing what is best for their students individually and collectively. No template, no matter the margins or deadline, is going to determine what is happening in the classroom. Unless you're going to camp out, at some point you're going to have to trust your teachers, give them support/feedback where they need it most, and give them time and means to meet the demands of the children. Administer an, as in one, assessment (not ANET, DC CAS, and MAP) and use that data, along with SUPPORTIVE observations to inform decisions. Filling out templates and going to long meetings takes time away from work that is ACTUALLY beneficial to students.

Advise staff how to reach out to the community. Parents and family members have a vested interest in their children. While I believe there are some parts already in place, we need to involve parents more so we ALL feel like part of a cohesive community. Test scores alone are not the purpose of education. Students, administrators, families, and teachers need to feel they are important, valued and they belong at the school and share the same goal.

I believe Friendship has the right intentions to educate and I believe in and support Friendship's mission.

Relaxed environment, fun.

Tech Support (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Friendship Public Charter School as an intern for less than a year

Pros: Relaxed, Fun, Ability to meet new people. Great learning opportunity!… Cons: Some management and communication issues. Sometimes a little unprofessional Busy days… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Unethical School System--I advise to stay away

I have been working at Friendship Public Charter School

Pros: loved working with the kids!! Cons: inexperienced special education coordinators, questionable curriculum Advice to Senior Management: Instead of hiring friends, hire employees who have real experience… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Friendship Public Charter School.

Worked for Friendship Public Charter School? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Friendship Public Charter School reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Friendship Public Charter School employees.