There are newer employer reviews for Frontier Communications

Worked for an application software

I worked at Frontier Communications for less than a year

Pros

Friendly envrironment, good work, Good location

Cons

changing conditions, upper management, blahhhh

483 Other Employee Reviews for Frontier Communications (View Most Recent)

Used to be a good place to work

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You will be challenged here, both personally and professionally. Pay is lower than regional average, but reasonable. Benefits, while expensive, are better than other places.

Cons

My salary was significantly lower than regional average for the work I performed.

Career advancement is nearly impossible. In the 8 years I was employed at Frontier, I know of less than 15 people who were promoted in the IT department. The only way to be promoted is to leave the company. I know of someone who applied for the same position at Frontier and Paychex. He was told by FTR he wasn't qualified, while at PAYX he was over-qualified. He left FTR when offered the identical PAYX position.

There is no work-life balance. Just before I left, my team was told in a staff meeting the minimum number of hours we should expect to work is 60 per week, and friends who are still employed there report working 90+ hours per week. There is no increase in their salaries, nor any bonuses paid for these extra hours worked.

There is no interest in training employees. In 8 years, I was sent to only 4 courses.

Senior management will often change project expectations in mid project and not communicate the change, leading to confusion and mistrust of upper management.

Management used to be approachable, but now operates using fear. I was personally threatened with being fired by my manager after reporting unethical activity by upper management to HR. I was also told I would not be hired elsewhere because "there are no jobs." I was hired less than a month after leaving the company.

One of your tenets is to treat others with respect, and to maintain good people. In the months before I left, I witnessed many talented IT folks leave because executive management felt it necessary to belittle and outright threaten them.

There are reportedly 120 open positions in IT...have you thought about why, when you asked employees to recommend their friends and family, there are still 120 open positions in IT?

It's shameful that current management turned a good place to work into a toxic environment. The Board would be doing themselves a favor if they looked at executive level management and cleaned house, starting with Wilderotter and her nepotist cronies.

Exciting and hopeful in 7/2010...now, dismal outlook..

I have been working at Frontier Communications

Pros

Benefits, get to solve problems in the field, some enjoyable customers, enjoy being outside when the weather is nice...

Cons

Where to start...IT platform and software that takes 6 steps backward, un-competitive products offered to the public yet we are told to sell, sell, sell...50-60 year old outside plant, major projects that go millions over budget, upper management from other industries with little or no experience in telecommunications who seem to have no clue, input from seasoned vets ignored, subpar customer service from call center reps that field techs have to resolve...Frontier is simply too far behind the technonolgy curve when our competition is offering 20m and higher broadband and all we can offer is a piddly 3m or 7m in some areas with congestion problems to boot...

I've offered advice for most of the years I've been here, and they seldom listen. So why do it now??

There are newer employer reviews for Frontier Communications

Worked for Frontier Communications? Contribute to the Community!