There are newer employer reviews for Fry

A lot of change, not always for the best

I have been working at Fry

Pros

This used to be a great place to be, but now that it has merged with MICROS there is a lack of strategy and communication internally. There are a lot of questions and not a lot of answers and unfortunately that has resulted in a lot of turnover. They are starting to figure things out, but not quick enough.

Cons

Lack of strategy sharing with staff.

Advice to Management

Respect the staff and share more. Recognize contributions.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

In spite of the bitter ex employee comments it is a great place to work.

Former Employee - Developer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Fry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed environment that is getting lot's of new business. Omni-Channel integrations and solutions are taking off and a big hit in the market.
    It is funny but I have never seen so many ex employees that appear to be unable to move on. Change isn't for everyone. Omni channel suite of products has opened new doors and opportunities that wouldn't have been there had it remained Fry. Fry could not compete stand alone. There is a new energy in the AA office and it is really on the comeback trail. I am glad I didn't listen to the negative comments when I joined. Unfortunately I had to leave due to family reason. I will look to come back in the near future I hope.

Cons

Not adding new employees fast enough

A solid company with faults, a place you can make your name

I have been working at Fry full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Micros-Retail (formerly Fry) has the only true omni-channel solution for retailers and is delivering it for medium-to-large clients. Ex-Fry folks were turned off by being part of a larger company, but it was being a puzzle piece in a larger solution. Those who stayed and understood that see what a career boost this is--being in a broader context including hospitality, restaurant, etc. MICROS is a giant in the industry with huge resources, and they reward people who have good ideas and work hard to realize them.
    By the way, John Gularson is not the CEO and never was.

Cons

Offices are a bit quiet and drab, but the people are great. Some policies, such as lack of transparency on expenses, are annoying, but that's what you get when you work for a public company. You do run into a bean-counter mentality once in a while.

Advice to Management

Keep opening the doors to innovation. Fix the stuff that's cheap and easy to fix--that's often what employees are grumbling about the most. Hire more resources so we have some bench and agility.