Fry's Food

www.frysfood.com
  www.frysfood.com
There are newer employer reviews for Fry's Food

Good people, poor career opportunity.

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Tempe, AZ
Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Fry's Food

Pros

It's a decent place to work while trying to get a degree. I have good managers, from my Deli manager on up to the assistant store and store managers. The customers are mostly very pleasant.

Cons

The cons to working here are the same you'll find in the grocery industry as a whole (sans Whole Foods and other places whose profit margins are much wider courtesy of a wealthy client base). Fry's and other grocers are in a 'race to the bottom' with Walmart. Prices (and consequently, wages) need to be cut to compete and the union is powerless to stop it. Long story short, you'll start at minimum wage and receive insignificant raises after each 1040 hour period. As an underling, the most you can hope to earn is somewhere in the 12 dollar an hour range (and this is after years of working here). The pay as a department manager really isn't much better (assistant department managers are rewarded with a 1 dollar an hour raise upon their promotion). There is decent pay to be had once you make it to store management, but if you're starting from the bottom it will likely be years hovering around the poverty line before you ever make it there. This is, unfortunately, now an industry for high school and college students who just need money on the side.

The amount of work you do in some departments isn't worth the minimal pay (the deli, in particular). The union doesn't negotiate higher wages for the more work intensive departments, so regardless of how difficult your job is you'll still get paid the same as a cashier. I often wonder what the purpose of this union is, exactly, when I'm actually paying them dues to actively work against me, but I digress. You won't get any health coverage until you've been on the job for a year, and after that point it will cost you almost a week's pay.

I could go on, but hopefully you get the picture. Unless you're life's goal is to never owe money on income taxes, you're better off aspiring to something else.

I understand that what's happening is more or less a necessity as a result of market pressures, but you simply won't get (or, at least, keep) quality employees under the current system. If people want horrible customer service and dirt cheap prices, there's plenty of Wal-Mart's in the area. The fact that Target does as well as it does at least provides some evidence that there's a market for people willing to pay more for better service and the opportunity to shop amongst a similar socio-economic class. When it comes to employees, you get what you pay for, and I see the evidence for that every time I'm at work.

118 Other Employee Reviews for Fry's Food (View Most Recent)

Its a very good experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Fry's Food

Pros

good store to work at and flexible

Cons

Uninized. Democratic schedualing which kind of sucks

I have no advice for management

One not worth having

Former Employee - Grocery Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Grocery Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Fry's Food

Pros

Its a job. In this economy its something.

Cons

Senior management is terrible. This company laid off 130 salaried managers. No job security.

Take the employees suggestions into account.

There are newer employer reviews for Fry's Food