Fulton County Schools

www.fultonschools.org

flexible, steady Substitute teacher work

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI enjoy being around kids, so mostly the day is enjoyable
Really flexible because I get to choose each sub job individually. I can accept or decline assignment through their computer system, so there is no stress. So I can work five days a week or just two or three . . . whatever I feel like for that week.
Downtown Substitute Support people are GREAT. If i encounter any problem, they say to not try to handle it ourselves, call them and they will handle it for us.

ConsWhen the teacher leaves alot of horrid busy work or you just administer tests all day. . . it can be a boring day.

Some of the classes have disruptive kids that are annoying. And as a sub, I cannot discipline . . .I can only write a report to the teacher for him/her to discipline.. Usually, if I have to write a report, though, I hear through the "student grapevine' that the regular teacher absolutely raked that disruptive kid over the coals. So, ya, don't be afraid to write a report to the regular teacher. Then you get the reputation as being the sub who is really nice . . . but don't mess with her because you will regret it. lol But mostly, as soon as the kids see that I respect them and amd like them . . . . they usually treat me nicely, too. Students hate mean subs, so appreciate subs like me.

Some individual schools treat their subs like ROYALTY and some treat you a second rate employee. Recommend that you Sub at different schools and find the ones you enjoy being at. and who treat you well. Then pass out your business card to everyone there and accept most of your jobs at those schools.

That's a tip - make up your own business cards with your name, email, and phone number. When you take a sub job off the computer list and find that you like that teacher's classes . . . leave a nice note on the teacher's desk with your business card. Often that teacher will call you the next time she is out instead of just posting the opening on the conputer system. for any sub to take.

Advice to Senior ManagementSchool Administrations - Make your subs feel welcome, and thank them. And for heavens sake, give them a key to the faculty bathroom. Geeeez. Nothing makes me feel second rate more than being told that subs are not trusted with any keys. The good subs take jobs at the schools that treat them well.

Teaching Today

High School Teacher (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Fulton County Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: At least I have a job. Cons: No pay raise for the past five years!!! New… Advice to Senior Management: Expect more, pay more. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Working at Fulton, you will become very community oriented

Special Ed Teacher (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

I worked at Fulton County Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros: I worked at Tri-Cities High School. The administration is awesome, I could… Cons: students and buildings are a bit rough around the edges; Also going to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Fulton County Schools.

Worked for Fulton County Schools? Contribute to the Community!