There are newer employer reviews for Fulton County Schools

It was uniquely challenging.

Current Employee - Teacher in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Fulton County Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The students were in great need of guidance and they seem to always welcome it.

Cons

The lack of funds to meet special projects that the students needed.

Advice to Management

Hire more consultants for grantwriting.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. My experience has been good and bad.

Former Employee - Middle School Teacher in Fairburn, GA
    Former Employee - Middle School Teacher in Fairburn, GA

I worked at Fulton County Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work here is the money.

Cons

In my area there was no strong school discipline. Students controlled all.

Advice to Management

Hire leadership who are to stand up against the status quo.

Some thoughts to ponder, before you sign that contract!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Fulton County Schools

Pros

Excellent materials and resources are provided for classroom instruction. Numerous opportunities for professional advancement and growth. Off campus leadership visits the schools often.

Cons

There is no reprieve for teachers to have problems with their principals. The district does have a grievance process for employees who have a problem or concern with an immediate supervisor. But it just boomerangs right back to the person who filed it, hopefully if you decide to work for this district you will not find yourself in an environment to have to consider this action because it will only make things worse for you. The surveys at the end of the year are not anonymous so if your opinion of your immediate supervisor is less than favorable then don't voice your opinion there, voice it by leaving and going to another campus or district and writing to the school board. Also keep in mind the teachers association gets their dues drafted out of teachers paycheck by the district, so one has to wonder if they really work for teachers or for the district. So I would not count on them to come to my defense if needed. It seems as if a noose is being wrapped around teacher's necks and they don't even know it. The knot is tightening as we speak. And no doubt in my mind the TKES evaluation instrument is nothing more than busywork to keep teachers time wrapped up and to divert their attention from developing policies that adversely affect their jobs and undermine a teacher's professionalism. Wake Up teachers!!!!!

Students don't come first anymore, administrators do. Just as the person who mentioned the level of un-professionalism she had to endure at a school in East Point. I just happened to stumble upon this website and started reading the reviews and I was almost certain I knew exactly what school she was referring to.. especially when she made reference to the actions of the two female Principal and Assistant Principal. Sounds exactly like the reputation Brookview Elementary school in East Point. The children of that school or any school with that type of climate really suffer emotionally and academically when there is high teacher turnover and teacher morale is low. Most children in that community already come from unstable home environments and the school is the most transient in the county, and they deserve to have a stable community of teachers who have energy to support their high level of emotional needs. Most of whom their teachers are like second parents to them. Instead a teachers energy is utilized defending themselves from their administration in order to keep their jobs, who search for a reason to have an issue with you. There is no outcry because of little parent support and an unspoken sentiment of no concern for students on the south Fulton side. Obviously, that type of workplace is allowed with the districts permission. But something needs to change and can.

Advice to Management

Teachers are tired of being the "whipping boy" for every ailment in education. When teachers fail administration has failed. Regarding the probationary period for new teachers, in my humble opinion everyone should have a probationary period whether it be 90 days or two years, from teachers to the superintendent. Whatever amount of time is needed to prove that individual is effective in their position. It was stated by the "talent department" that this was put in to policy because potentially an ineffective teacher who may be departmentalized could affect around 200 students per day. If you do the math of 30 students per course for 5 periods. So my thinking is that is definitely true but also that an ineffective principal affects at least 400 hundred to over a thousand daily, because they affect the learning environment for teachers and therefore the students as well. Some administrators hold teachers to standards they can't even hold themselves to. There are ineffective people in every level in a hierarchy. By all means please continue to be diligent about a teacher's quality but also about yourselves as well.