There are newer employer reviews for G&K Services

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Saint Paul, MN
Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at G&K Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, great hours, keeps you in shape

Cons

Working in the snow and the cold

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Company designed for short-term employment

Former Employee - Route Manager in Runnemede, NJ
    Former Employee - Route Manager in Runnemede, NJ

I worked at G&K Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fair Benefits
    - Vacation - Just aren't allowed to take it

Cons

- The company chewed up employees in such a way that there was a revolving door amongest the managers. The managers that they hired had no chance of being successful because the circumstances were so desperate.
    - Averaged 55 hours a week for three years.

Advice to Management

- This is the only company that I have observed in the last 15 years that has an environment that invited unionization.
    - Management style is very militarialistic. It was insulting to think that we were going to follow bad decision makin and worse, unethical business acumen.

If you shake their hand, make sure you count your fingers.

Former Employee - TSR Territory Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - TSR Territory Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at G&K Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent base salary, decent benefits, purchase discounts on clothes, perceived potential to make a lot of money (ha ha), extensive training program.

Cons

They were dishonest through the whole hiring process. They did not mention that you can lose your base salary if you have a negative adjust on your commission. They also tell you many times that their service is the best in the industry but it is no better than any other uniform company. I was told that I would be working in one city and occasionally have to travel to where the plant is in another state but I ended up have to drive 2 hours away every Monday morning for 8 months! I ended up working 12 hour days for 8 months and never made a substantial commission to speak of. The very top of the sales team make about 70-80K and that is about 2% of sellers, everybody else is averaging about $50K including the base. There is also a TON of work to do on the back end when you actually do get some poor unsuspecting soul to change to your half-rate service, again something they lied about and said you don't have to do, it is a "hunter position". Don't waste your time with G&K from one salesperson to another, it was the worst experience I've ever had selling. A ton of stress, long hours, and crap pay.

Advice to Management

Don't be completely dishonest to your employees and your customers and expect them to stay for more than 6 months which is about the average time salespeople work for this place.