There are newer employer reviews for G4S

Steady, but completely unsupported.

Former Employee - Upscale Security Officer in Barrington, IL
Former Employee - Upscale Security Officer in Barrington, IL

I worked at G4S full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady work, 'decent' entry pay, good benefits (if a little expensive, full benefits cost me 1/4 of my paycheck)

Cons

Office has no incentive or interest in actively supporting the field. Requests for season-necessary uniforms(-30F temperatures outside and they made me go to work with short-sleeve shirts and a windbreaker) were at >= 6 months to be processed. Unannounced policy changes such as vacation freeze (or unannounced rollback if you were above new-hire vacation time for your paygrade) (only applicable to non-office personnel). They've been in a 'temporary' pay freeze since 2007, only applicable to non-office personnel.

Advice to Management

Corporate management: incentive-ize things other than the bottom line because quality is greater than quantity and your good officers are leaving the company for others. Important: MONITOR your regional offices and their policies. I can't believe G4S as a company is surviving if all offices are as bad as my regional one. Specific: terminate the Westchester, IL office personnel from top to bottom. You've done two audits in 4 years and replaced half the office personnel, yet the situation is unchanged. The office is corrupt and they've gotten into the habit of running it that way. You won't be able to salvage or change the admin, and your office would honestly be both more efficient and profitable if you eliminated the entire staff and started from veterans from both G4S or those from other companies that are effective.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. More on the negative side due to lack of coordinated staff communication

Current Employee - G4S Security Officer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - G4S Security Officer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at G4S full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I have experienced yet

Cons

No inner staff coordination between supervisors

Advice to Management

Get a handle on it or stay the way it is now just like most other security companies

2. G4S/Wackenhut a great part-time, retirement or just starting out job

Current Employee - Custom Protection Officer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Custom Protection Officer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at G4S part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have contracts everywhere. They have different levels of security officers. The highest paying right now is the Altria contract at 13. an hour and your title is CPO because you either have prior military, law enforcement, sheriff, corrections experience or a degree. The other classifications are TSO and critical... officer ranges from 10.00-12.00.

Cons

They could do a little better with uniform issuance. The contracts are hourly and you do not get raises or bonuses. Within the first year if you take off for any reason you don't get paid. An officer has to switch with another officer in order to get paid. You work on weekends and evenings. They do not have a rotating schedule where an officer gets every other weekend off. You have to pay out of pocket for your certifications, yearly.

Advice to Management

Have a better system with keeping track of uniform issuance and lack of.