There are newer employer reviews for G4S

Steady, but completely unsupported.

Former Employee - Upscale Security Officer in Barrington, IL
Former Employee - Upscale Security Officer in Barrington, IL

I worked at G4S full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Steady work, 'decent' entry pay, good benefits (if a little expensive, full benefits cost me 1/4 of my paycheck)

Cons

Office has no incentive or interest in actively supporting the field. Requests for season-necessary uniforms(-30F temperatures outside and they made me go to work with short-sleeve shirts and a windbreaker) were at >= 6 months to be processed. Unannounced policy changes such as vacation freeze (or unannounced rollback if you were above new-hire vacation time for your paygrade) (only applicable to non-office personnel). They've been in a 'temporary' pay freeze since 2007, only applicable to non-office personnel.

Corporate management: incentive-ize things other than the bottom line because quality is greater than quantity and your good officers are leaving the company for others. Important: MONITOR your regional offices and their policies. I can't believe G4S as a company is surviving if all offices are as bad as my regional one. Specific: terminate the Westchester, IL office personnel from top to bottom. You've done two audits in 4 years and replaced half the office personnel, yet the situation is unchanged. The office is corrupt and they've gotten into the habit of running it that way. You won't be able to salvage or change the admin, and your office would honestly be both more efficient and profitable if you eliminated the entire staff and started from veterans from both G4S or those from other companies that are effective.

reviews filtered by
  1. Not treated fairly

Current Employee - Security Guard
    Current Employee - Security Guard

I have been working at G4S full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At the site that I used to work for Receptionists and Supervisors receive good compensation

Cons

At the site that I used to work for employees who are not Receptionists or Supervisors, specifically Security Guards do not receive good compensation for their working conditions. These Security Guards have to stand throughout an 8 hour shift with short breaks which is difficult for almost anybody. It also seems as though favoritism is strong with seniority not valued as much.

Management need to pay Security Guards the same pay rate as Receptionists and value seniority more.

2. More on the negative side due to lack of coordinated staff communication

Current Employee - G4S Security Officer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - G4S Security Officer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at G4S full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None that I have experienced yet

Cons

No inner staff coordination between supervisors

Get a handle on it or stay the way it is now just like most other security companies

There are newer employer reviews for G4S