GE Aviation

www.geaviation.com
  www.geaviation.com
There are newer employer reviews for GE Aviation

Great Pay not a lot of advancement opportunities for mid career hires

Current Employee - Director in Evendale, OH
Current Employee - Director in Evendale, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Pay and stable work environment, great brand for resume.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunity for individuals that have not spent entire career at GE. Too many bureaucratic hurdles that are GE specific for advancement that requires years to complete.

GE has great advancement system for hire right out of college but for mid career hires it is ver difficult to get on the advancement tract and I have seen a lot of great talent leave due to this policy.

395 Other Employee Reviews for GE Aviation (View Most Recent)

A fantastic learning experience.

Current Employee - GE Aviation Co-Op in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - GE Aviation Co-Op in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern, I had access to executives, managers, and professional engineers across all departments. Networking opportunities abounded, pay was very competitive, and they take you in right away as part of the family. The projects I was given were of high value and impact. They are very interested in developing you as a person and engineer, and offer many technical learning opportunities - even allowing you to take apart a real jet engine! Their commitment to integrity is evident in policies and employee attitudes. Also, they just hire really nice people - everyone went out of their way to answer any questions I had and give me any resources I needed.

Cons

Working at such a huge company (10,000 engineers in Cincinnati alone), it's easy to get lost in the mix. While Cincinnati is a nice city, it is pretty far from some of the bigger cities on the east coast, and can feel small at times. To get high up in the company, you will make a lot of personal sacrifices as far as time and family.

Great Benefits, Nice People, Solid Work

Former Employee - Performance Engineer in Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Performance Engineer in Lynn, MA

I worked at GE Aviation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

+Industry-leading benefits. I almost believe they treat their employees too well!
    +GE is a household name, and GE Aviation credentials look great on a resume.
    +Managers care for your career and work with HR to lay out a plan for your advancement.
    +You have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge technology and interact with worldwide customers.
    +GE will often allow for flexible work arrangements or even working from home and telecommuting on occasion.

Cons

-Customer focus is not all it could be. Being one of the biggest names in Aerospace comes with a sense of complacency.
    -Working with a unionized shop is incredibly frustrating.
    -The Edison program gives new hires a good chance to get exposed to many types of work, but it is difficult to get anything meaningful done during rotations.
    -There is some deadwood in the organization, and incompetent Engineers are often passed around or left alone rather than encouraged to seek employment elsewhere.

Scrutinize the Edison program to make sure that you're hiring quality engineers. It's easier to weed out the deadwood early before it takes root. Weeding out long-term under-performers is bad for morale, but getting rid of them early and showing that you are committed to bringing in the cream of the crop is a boost to permanent employees.

Focus on the customer. Employees should be willing to work late or off-hours to get products out the door to save the customer money. Eventually someone else will come along and challenge GE's dominance if the company doesn't stay focused on delighting customers.

There are newer employer reviews for GE Aviation