GE Aviation

www.geaviation.com
  www.geaviation.com
There are newer employer reviews for GE Aviation

Front-row seat to engine development

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The product couldn't be more challenging and exciting, and the singular industry goal of relentlessly improving fuel economy adds a feel-good factor for someone with a disposition toward environmental stewardship (if we're all gonna fly and burn up all this fuel, lets optimize the machine). I've never worked with so many people who are uninterruptedly driven and goal-focused. The people I've worked with have broad technical aptitude (but my impression is that this has come at the expense of depth in the last decade or two). My work has been interesting, and my direct management has allowed me the space to really learn something, and work toward the basic understanding necessary to build the path from technical problem identification, to physical understanding, to prediction and solution. It's been fun.

Cons

There is a buzzword and initialism culture, which makes it difficult to understand one another. At first, I thought that I was the only one who couldn't understand what most people here mean half the time, but I've come to realize that this is pervasive. Imprecise language plagues this place and makes technical misunderstandings common. For someone whose work requires a lab bench and some lab equipment, the facilities can be painfully lacking and often so poorly maintained that its not feasible to do routine lab work (at least not well). There is a culture among many important people (i.e. not my immediate management, but those who hold the purse strings) that, through their attitude and through funding decisions, disrespects science and physical understanding, but wishfully wants the technical progress that enables anyhow. This sets the conditions for a sometimes slow, painful, and expensive learning process through trial and error, while deeper more broadly-applicable lessons could have been learned with a more deliberate front-end program aimed at understanding. Finally, don't assume management will necessarily allow you to pursue another opportunity within GE, even if that advances your career in the direction you want, and even if that other organization is inviting you to apply. The business can be greedy.

Technology development through brute-force is not always the most useful path.

395 Other Employee Reviews for GE Aviation (View Most Recent)

Large Burocracy

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Many possibilities for career advancement.
    - Many different industries
    - Many locations to choose from so in larger cities you can change from on business / industry to another and still not lose your seniority and accumulated benefits.
    - Tools and processes are the same at all locations within the same business which makes changing easy and smoother
    - GE has an awesome rewards and recognition program that lets any employee nominate another employee or group for monetary rewards from $25 to $1000. That is a real motivator for many.

Cons

It can be very hard to make any changes within the company. Because it is so large and very centralized many things are predetermined and can't be changed. That can be very frustrating for those who want to improve upon what is currently being done, how things are done, or the tools used to do it.
    GE buys and sells businesses frequently. It can happen that you end up in a business that is being sold and then you can't change into a different job at another site anymore. Unless you are in the EB band you will go with the business and can lose decades with a company even if you had no plans to leave.

Let individual businesses run them selves more like individual business and don't try to put the "big GE: stamp on them.

Changed my entire perception of manufacturing and what it meant to work for an American manufacturer.

Current Employee - Co-Op/Intern in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Co-Op/Intern in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Work life balance Encouraged by management to try new things and get involved in The Community. Good Compensation and benefits as well as potential for Climbing the "ladder" In a very large and Successful Company

Cons

getting to work early was sometimes difficult. GE. red tape is always a hassle because of FAA regulations>

Keep training and inspiring Young engineers to pursue their dreams. Make sure the interns feel like they are helping and that You Value their ideas and opinions,

There are newer employer reviews for GE Aviation