Good company, great culture, frustrating bureuacracy

Former Employee - Risk Analyst  in  Norwalk, CT
Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Norwalk, CT

I worked at GE Capital

Pros

Great team environment. Meritocracy for the most part. Decent pay when hours are reasonable

Cons

Long hours at times especially for the pay. lack of technical or industry expertise at the senior levels of management. extremely vanilla investment strategies. pitch culture - constantly forcing complex information into cookie cutter pitchbooks can be cumbersome.

Sometimes, the complex answer is the more accurate one. There is a very real difference between a simple answer with a lot of though behind it and versus a simple concept that "sounds right" but ignores all kinds of implications. GE capital's leadership has too often veered to the latter. There are plenty of middle market "chumps" who will work with us but my former team was constantly getting ripped apart when we tried to present to hedge funds and PE firms because business leaders there are experts in a only a few fields. While they may lack your abilty to be "front facing" at times, they understand the intricacies of the industry they work in... not just the general principles that apply to all lending businesses.

Other Reviews for GE Capital

Great place in a small town.

Current Employee - Systems Specialist  in  Moberly, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Specialist in Moberly, MO

I have been working at GE Capital

Pros

Here in Moberly, it's one of the best jobs available without having to commute. With the low cost of living, a GE salary goes a pretty long way. The people here act more like a family than just a bunch of co-workers. We do our job and we do it well, and that's why we're one of the best in the business. You don't have to know a lot about leasing when you walk in the door, because the training available is first rate and you will learn on the job. Best of all, the managers really listen to their staff.

Cons

Because we're here in Moberly, we don't feel as connected with what's going on in other locations, and we sometimes feel like we get the short end of the stick because we're in a rural location. We're two and a half hours from a major airport, which means the most senior managers maybe visit once or twice a year. We're a fairly independent shop because of that, but I think it also sometimes leaves us out of the considerations or lowers us in the standings when major decisions are being made at the uppermost strategic levels. You sometimes feel isolated from having any input or control over the overall status out here.

Come out here more often and talk to the general employees more.

Great place to get good experience, but not necessarily great place to stay for the long term

Current Employee - Senior Vice President  in  Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Stamford, CT

I have been working at GE Capital

Pros

Size and diversity of company provide great opportunities to learn about new areas and harness information for identifying opportunities

Cons

There can be a lot of organizational tension because those making investments on behalf of GE do not need to invest with their own money. There's also a lot of bureaucracy due to size.

None

There are newer employer reviews for GE Capital.

Worked for GE Capital? Contribute to the Community!